Learning to Love Cleveland

Learning to Love Cleveland
Marblestone, center row, found many reasons to enjoy her new life in Cleveland.

By Haley Marblestone, Staff Writer

When I learned that I would be moving to Cleveland last spring, I could not get past some of the things I had heard.  Cleveland was described as “The Armpit of America.”  Ohio was “only farms”.  I thought, “Booo Ohio State.”  Worst of all, it was not Michigan, the state that I considered home.

Obviously, as a junior in high school, I did not want to move, but especially not to Cleveland, Ohio.  People in Detroit do not have many good things to say about Cleveland and if they did I certainly did not want to hear them.

As the move came closer, my dad continued to invite me to musicals at the Playhouse Square, Cleveland Zoo tours, concerts and many other entertaining events.  I continuously said no because I did not want to “support the Cleveland economy” but deep down I kept thinking, “I could never do these things in Detroit, this is so cool!”

A few months after my transition to Beachwood, I got accepted into a program called Look Up To Cleveland.  It is a leadership program where 55 juniors from across Northeast Ohio get an inside view on what Cleveland really is.  This completely changed every negative thought I had towards Cleveland.

First off, I met tons of people.  I continue to be overwhelmed with the friendly people in this community.  People are always trying to help and make me feel comfortable.  My family and I all noticed this instantly.  The movers, landscapers, neighbors, students… you name it.  We all decided we could not have come to a more welcoming community.

Also, the entertainment industry is expansive here.  During my Look up to Cleveland experience I visited a variety of places including Playhouse Square, the Hannah Theatre, Key Bank, Tower City, Museums and more.  These places showed me how much Cleveland has to offer.  Unlike Detroit, you could walk around Cleveland for hours and be entertained.  From the Indians games to a stroll down Lake Erie, Cleveland has a great amount to offer.

Now that I am settled in Beachwood, I can truthfully say, I am glad I moved to Cleveland compared to any other place.  It is not only farms or “the armpit of our country,” it is a great place to live.