Legacy Brings Artists From Around the Nation for “Art in the Village-Fall Edition”

The sun beat down on hundreds of sauntering locals perusing under white tents. Restaurants sold samples between artists’ kiosks displaying everything from abstract paintings to cigar box purses. Elderly couples, young families and enthusiastic hipsters strolled among the various forms of art: sculpture, painting, jewelry, pottery, craft, clothes and photography.

Sept. 24 and 25 marked the second annual “Art in the Village-Fall Edition” art festival at Legacy Village. The show brought in artists from all over the nation. Over fifteen million dollars in artwork was displayed. The show took up the entire main walkway near Starbucks and California Pizza Kitchen. Below are a few highlights from the show.

Sculpture

Rodman White House

Functional and Dysfunctional Sculpture

www.RodmanWhite.com

Mindy Rodman and Paul White couple up to make the Rodman White House. Their primarily wood and steel sculptures define quirky, colorful, abstract shapes and large, vivid, geometric contemporary faces were a bright point in the show. Clearly art meant for a home, the pieces were designed to be useable and interactive.

Ancizar Marin

Sculptor

www.artbyancizar.com

Marin’s bronze and resin sculptures dazzle the eye. Each one a completely recognizable yet whimsical hand carved figurine, his artwork has a definite yet original point of view. Many of the pieces are circus inspired, but his most identifying pieces are his colorful climbers.

Painting

Sharon Hayes Westbrook

Abstract and Figurative painter

www.sharonwestbrook.com

The charming Southern Sharon Hayes Westbrook exhibited a wide range of expressive, figurative paintings. Inside her tent was everything from abstract strokes on large canvases to loose renditions of the human form to piercing and distinct portraits. Her paintings were bold, fearless, and evocative of some of the great expressionist masters.

Jeremy Hanson

Acrylic Paintings

[email protected]

Hanson’s acrylic paintings are slick, exploding abstractions of color and organic forms. They appear to be inspired by gardens and other floral images. Overall, his tent was layered with beautiful pieces full of movement.

Marvin (Murf) Murphy

www.artofmurf.com

“It’s like composing a piece of music”, artist Marvin “Murf” Murphy proclaims about his art. Indeed, his art seems to vibrate with their clever use of color and variation in line. His music-inspired paintings are abstract art that most people could appreciate, which is generally hard to say.

Photography

McCollum Photography

Karen and Jim McCollum

John Lennon Wall-Prague

www.mccollumphotography.net

In the collection shown at Art in the Village, Karen and Kim McCollum were inspired by the John Lennon Wall in Prague. Focusing on specific, intimate parts of the hand painted wall, their digitized and slightly edited images of the nationally significant work are modern and smart. Though fine art, these would be cool images to hang in your room with their rock vibe and rebellious feeling.