Band Brings out the Bison Beat

On an early Saturday morning, the football team isn’t the only group getting ready for the game. The BHS band is also preparing.

After losing some talented seniors last year, the band returns sounding better than ever. Led by a group of artistic seniors and featuring a fresh group of talent, this band boasts a new, innovative sound that Beachwood hasn’t heard in a while.

Band director Craig Wohlschlager said, “I want to entertain the crowds, and for the band to have fun.  If we accomplish that, then I am satisfied.”

Many songs added to this year’s upbeat, remarkable playlist include arrangements of “Paranoid” and “Crazy” by Gnarls Barkley (a personal favorite by Wohlschlager), “Kashmir,” “Paint it Black,” and “Dynamite.” Later in the fall audiences will enjoy Lady Gaga tunes and an arrangement of the theme song from “Hawaii-Five-0.”

The band’s rhythms help fire up the athletes, players and fans. Junior drill team member Bridgette Jacober pointed out, “Without the band, the drill team would just look ridiculous dancing without music.”

Football player Brandon Rotsky explained that the band’s music fires up the players, giving an advantage to the team.

And band members enjoy the show as well. Senior Jared Seidel said, “The band gets the best view of the football games for free. I love getting to play for Beachwood every Friday night and Saturday.”

The band does most of its practicing during class time. Sophomore Hannah Feldman likes band as a class because, “We get to be loud and obnoxious, and it boosts our GPA.”

In addition to regular band performances at BHS, many students participate with other area high-schoolers in groups such as Cleveland Youth Wind Symphony, Contemporary Youth Orchestra and Cleveland Orchestra Youth Orchestra.  These students include Andrew Hartstein, Graham Atherton, Sam Goldman, Nicholas Greene and Barry Teich.

The band boasts a newly formed jazz club this year, the members of which will study and perform swing, blues, funk, modern and classic jazz works. The group will be headed by assistant band director Bettyjeane Wischmeier and will meet Tuesdays and Thursdays after school.