Students Explore Diverse Interests on Senior Search

Over 100 BHS seniors gave presentations of their senior search projects in the gym on the afternoon of Tuesday, June 4.

In the presentations, students displayed what they learned during two to three weeks spent pursuing creative or career-related goals.

The projects represented a wide range of fields. There were students who worked for animal clinics, baseball facilities, environmental organizations and much more.

Many seniors agreed that the Senior Search experience was beneficial to them in gaining some insights into the fields they wanted to pursue.

“I went into this thinking I was going to become a nurse,” said senior Megan Piccione. “Instead I decided that I’m going into pre-med to become a pediatrician.”

Piccione feels that Senior Search opened up opportunities for her future.

“If you start early, then you have a better chance of getting that job later in life,” she said. “I think this is a really good opportunity for everybody because they need to know what they’re going to do in college.”

“It was really fun,” said senior Demir Tulunoglu, who worked in a lab. “I worked with…collagen structures, and  tried to make a colon out of collagen…I’m intending to work on it further. Senior Search was great.”

“I think the most important thing about the Senior Search experience is that it allows you to get out into the field and say ‘Hmm is this really right for me? Is this really what I thought this job would be?” said senior Aaron Paley.

“Overall, I thought that some [projects] were very well done,” said Senior Search Committee Co-Chair Casey Matthews. “Others were not so well thought-out. I don’t think [all of them] were an adequate reflection of what they should have gotten out of Senior Search.”