First Annual ‘Entrovation’ Expo Shines Through Dark Weather

Gray skies and heavy winds didn’t keep the Beachwood community from attending the new BHS junior achievement expo: Entrovation, held on Friday, April 19.

Entrovation is a registered trademark of marketing teacher Greg Perry’s students, combining the concepts of innovation and entrepreneurship. At the expo, local businesses displayed their wares and highlighted their innovative businesses. Perry’s students organized the event, which is replacing The Green Dream eco-expo.

“It was an extraordinarily successful event, especially for its first year,” Perry said. “We ended up with 170 exhibitors. Thousands of people attended… I would call that a smashing success.”

The vendors ranged from ice cream stores like Sweetie Fry to banks such as First Federal of Lakewood. There was a huge tent to protect vendors and attendees from the rain. At one table after another, companies were lined up with their products on display.

“It’s a good networking opportunity,” said Samantha from First Federal Lakewood.

Even the Beachwood robotics team got involved, showing off their innovative robot.

“We are supporting the idea of innovation and entrepreneurship,” said sophomore robotics team member Danny Stanescu.

Jake Goodman, a former BHS marketing student, manned the Bizdom table. Bizdom is a “tech accelerator” that funds start-up companies.

The mood was upbeat. Music played in a huge 60-foot wide by 200-foot long tent with lights and an Entro lounge where attendees could relax “South Beach style.”

There were two massage stations. Raffles were held for a chance to win a new car. Food trucks were lined up waiting for hungry customers, offering Cajun and Asian cuisine as well as East Coast Custard. “Sweetie Fry,” along with other businesses, offered free samples.

The event was a huge success. There was even a surprise sneek peak performance from the cast of Rent.

The money raised during Entrovation will go towards a new classroom and a new school store.

“The students earned well over $80,000 this year,” Perry said

Any remaining money will go towards next year’s Entrovation.

“It was a very meaningful learning experience for the students,” Perry said. “It pushed them outside the boundaries of what they would normally do. [This event] taught them all about business, marketing and entrepreneurship by actually engaging in it throughout the year.”