Music Students Move into New Wing

Music Students Move into New Wing

In mid-Sept., orchestra, band and choir students were excited to play for the first time in the new music wing. Music classes had been held in temporary quarters since the construction began, so music students and teachers are happy to have a permanent home.

“I’m really excited to be in our new space. It’s exactly what we’re looking for…. I’m enjoying teaching here,” said instrumental music teacher Noël Bliss.

“It’s spectacular. The storage was carefully thought out, and there is ample room to store the instruments whereas in past years I’ve heard that it was always a struggle and everyone had to pile their instruments,” said freshman orchestra member Simon Perilla.

Long before the new wing was opened, orchestra was taught in a tiered room in the basement.

“The basement was wet…, …dark …[and] inconvenient,” said instrumental music teacher Lisa Goldman.

“When you’re on tiers and there’s no place for books and cases, you are constantly climbing over books and cases to get around the room”, she added.

While the new room was being built, the orchestra class practiced in the auditorium, but it was far from being the place of their dreams. “It’s not an ideal space for a classroom”, said Goldman.

When entering the music wing, musicians pass an instrument storage area. A door leads to the choir room, which is large and bright, with a choir stand by the window. Dwarfing the choir room is the gigantic orchestra room down the hall. A large open space carefully installed ceiling tiles, or the tall windows, or the large instruments that look like they are being displayed rather than being stored, due to the abundance of space. There is also an office for the teachers and a music library which are separate from the orchestra room.

Along with more space, the new orchestra room was designed with distinct features. The new room was built with very large windows to improve lighting while conserving energy.

“A big thing the architects and the district wanted…. was getting natural light in there. [The] big windows are great on energy, and give students a brighter atmosphere,” commented Anthony Mirando, Assistant Superintendent for Turner Construction Company.

When asked what she liked most about the new room, Goldman quickly gave a brief answer: “The light”.

The rooms were also designed to be eco-friendly.

“Our main objective, and the district’s main objective is [using] “green” materials; all the materials are green-conscious,” said Mirando.