Local BBYO Chapter Honors David Berger and Munich Anniversary

While many students celebrated Labor Day weekend at a barbeque or an air show, the David Berger AZA chapter of the local Bnai Brith Youth Organization (BBYO) led the “40th Anniversary of the Olympic Munich Tragedy: Memorial of David Berger” ceremony at the JCC on Sept. 2.

David Berger was an Israeli wrestler from Shaker Heights. Berger was one of the 11 athletes murdered at the 1972 Olympic Games in Munich, Germany. This memorial wasn’t only for Berger, but also for the 10 other athletes killed.

This chapter of BBYO in particular was involved because “[The chapter is] named after David Berger” said BBYO member Jake Finkenthal, Grade 12. He helped lead the ceremony.

“It meant everything,” Finkenthal said. “It was very special to me. The chapter is a huge part of my life”.

“From the start, the chapter was already planning a 40th anniversary reunion for current members and alumni. However, after a few meetings we decided very quickly that we should bring a memorial service into it” said Max Bleich, Moreh and VP of Education and Recruitment for the chapter. Max helped organize the event and lead the BBYO portion of the ceremony. “[Berger’s] annual chapter member inductions are at the memorial statue in front of the JCC. We try very hard to incorporate as much about David and the tragedy at Munich as possible into our programming and events.”

During the 2012 London Olympics, the International Olympic Committee wouldn’t allow for a moment of silence during the opening ceremony. “The memory, legacy, and reality of the events at Munich need to be discussed more than they are. Because if the IOC doesn’t do something about it, somebody else should” said Max.