Activities Fair Takes on New Format

Activities Fair Takes on New Format
On Tuesday, Sept. 4, the BHS student body filled the south gym for the annual activities fair.
This year, club leaders gave 30-second schpiels to persuade prospective club members to join. For the first time ever, students could sign up for the clubs they were interested in with an informal lunch time sign up.
Construction has forced the fair into the south gym for the past two years.  Before construction, assemblies were held in the atrium, and people signed up at tables located in the auditorium and atrium.
“I think the format needs to be refined more,” said student activities adviser Craig Alexander. He and Assistant Superintendent Robert Hardis have considered a format where there would be an evening activities fair, where clubs could set up tables and prospective members could visit club tables at their leisure, in addition to the morning assembly.
It isn’t clear which format is better. “In the atrium, people are less likely to see all the events,” said speech & debate Vice President Anshika Niraj. “People can be distracted in the south gym. I don’t think it was any better or worse in the atrium.”
“First meetings take on a new role,” said Student Council Executive Board Vice-President Wes Darvin. Previously, students could ask questions of club members at the tables in the atrium, but now they have to wait until the first meeting to see if they are interested in the club, according to Darvin.
There were 547 student signatures as of Thursday Sept. 6, though this only represents some of the sign-up sheets. From the ones available at the time of this publication, JCWA and the Beachwood Business Club had over 40 signatures. They ran out of sign-up sheets several times, according to Alexander.
“The reports that I’ve gotten [was] that it went very well,” said Alexander.