Marketing Students Qualify for DECA Nationals

This year’s Excel TECC business and marketing program has taken Ohio by storm. Marketing teacher Jean Getz prepares her students for DECA competitions designed to train business and marketing leaders.

In DECA competitions, students apply their knowledge to real world problems outside the classroom.

Getz’s students run a company that fundraises and volunteers, and in turn gives the profit to the Muscular Dystrophy Association. Their program is responsible for the Chick-fil-A breakfasts sold in the hallway this year. Students also work for different corporate businesses, including Clear Channel and Listener Driven Radio. This past year, their major client was Cedar Point, with the heads of the park offering students future positions with Cedar Point in the marketing/business department.

“What an honor,” said Getz. “Cedar Point was so impressed with my students that they offered them careers. That’s very unusual, but so exciting.”

Just recently, the state competition was held at Cuyahoga Community College, where all of Getz’s students received acknowledgement. Senior Scott Janovitz came in second in the state, but he could not attend the subsequent national competition.

“I was hoping to make it on stage at nationals, which were held in Salt Lake City, Utah,” said Janovitz. “Unfortunately, because of my jaw surgery, I was unable to go to nationals even though I did well enough at states to attend. The people that make it to states are serious about trying to make it to nationals, and it is awesome that I was able to beat out all but one of them. Getting up on the stage was something I will never forget, and I owe a lot to Mrs. Getz for helping me get there.”

“Scott is amazing,” said Getz. “His personality is incredible and he is a joy to have in the class. I’m so proud of him.”

In fifth place was senior Brooke Altman, who planned on attending nationals for Janovitz, but was on a trip to Poland instead.

Beachwood graduate and LDR representative Daniel Anstandig wrote a letter commented on the students’ work.

“Mrs. Getz’s class went above and beyond to provide thorough research and insights on the teen market for Listener Driven Radio and our partners at Clear Channel,” wrote Anstandig. “We were impressed with the professionalism, integrity, and earnestness of Mrs. Getz’s students. They were detailed and diligent about finding answers for our company—and their questions clearly showed that they were studying marketing and business at a collegiate level.”

Applying to be part of this program has closed for the fall, but the following year is open. It is a competition in itself to just be included in Getz’s class.