Debate Team Shines at Bison Invitational, Places at National Circuit Tournament

The BHS Debate team has continued to place top speakers at local and national tournaments.

The team placed first in Chamber A, B and C of the Congressional Invitational held in December  at BHS.  In Chamber A, sophomore Anshika Niraj placed first, junior Maddie Adelman placed second and freshman Jon Shapiro third. In Chamber B, junior and president of the Debate team Beth Moses placed first, sophomore Jay Rajan placed fifth and junior Brandon Weisman placed sixth. In Chamber C, sophomore Varun Jambunath placed first. In Duo Interpretation, freshman Jaime Rotsky and sophomore Kyle Cohen tag teamed, and in Public Forum, Max Yanowitz and Wu Young Lee placed second.

Last weekend the BHS Debate Team traveled down to South Carolina and both Beth Moses and Jessie Gill managed to place at the 2012 Myers Park Laird Lewis Invitational.

Sophomore Varun Jambunath said, “Beachwood has a pretty kick a@# team. Members always place at tournaments, be it at the local state or national level, and I’m pretty proud of that. Everyone puts in a lot of effort, and it pays off.” He continued, “Interestingly enough, the trips are more about just debating. You become a lot closer with other members of the team, and eventually you gain pretty good friends.”