Marketing Class Prepares Ad Campaigns for Corporate Clients

Jean Getz’s marketing class is preparing a professional marketing campaign. Phto courtesy of Jean Getz.

Jean Getz's marketing class is preparing a professional marketing campaign.  Phto courtesy of Jean Getz.
Jean Getz's marketing class is preparing a professional marketing campaign. Photo courtesy of Jean Getz.

By Kaulin Hooper, Staff Writer

Currently students in marketing teacher Jean Getz’s class at BHS’s Excel Tech program are working in close collaboration with Doner Advertising, the largest private advertising agency in the world.

“The Doner Project allows students to learn from premier professionals in the business and marketing world” said Getz. “The project is the same project given to graduate-level students at Case Western Reserve,” she continued. Students learn from the premier professionals in the marketing and business field. This information about designing advertising campaigns is usually presented to high-level corporate executives. Students hold research focus groups and create creative briefs for the companies that Doner represents.

The culminating event will be when the students get to present their findings personally to the corporate executives of both Doner and their respective companies in January 2010. The students may see their work in advertisements or possibly see their commercials on national television.

Students work directly with the corporate offices of Arby’s and Things Remembered. They held focus groups outside of school and learned how to help these companies. Jordan Reiner said, “It’s a lot of fun. It’s good hands-on experience with marketing and trying to solve problems.”

This semester, students attended the DECA day with the Cleveland Cavaliers at Quicken Loans Arena and the DECA Fall Leadership Conference on November 3rd in Columbus. Students will also be selling cheesecake to assist the funding for their fashion show.

The fashion show will occur next semester, along side a new product that that they will be advertising. Also, next semester, students will participate in DECA contests for marketing and business.

In previous years, competitions have gone well for BHS students. Seven to fifteen students usually qualify for the state competition from Getz’s class and she usually sends at least one to the international competition. Last year, Tony Hill went to the national competition and the year before that, four students made it that far.

This year’s students are embracing the challenge of the Doner project and the forthcoming competitions.