Football Team Has New Staff, New Strategy, New Season

Beachcomber+archives+
Beachcomber archives

In April, Mike Gibbons was hired as head football coach to fill Ryan Williams’ position.

Additionally, an entirely new coaching staff started this summer. Williams and the other assistant coaches resigned after last year’s 7-3 season.

Gibbons has some big plans. “[My goals are] to improve every day and to prepare every day the best we can. Off the field, in the classroom and in the community, doing everything the right way every day,” he said.

In fact, he has already made strategic changes. “This year we switched to a no-huddle fast-paced offense, and our defense is converted to a 4-2-5 with two safeties that work like outside linebackers,” senior captain Sam Diamond wrote in an online interview.

Gibbons is experienced in the world of football. He attended Lake Catholic High School in Mentor, where he was as a linebacker and helped the team win the 2001 Division III state championship. Gibbons went on to play linebacker at Mount Union.

Following his college career, Gibbons spent one year as linebacker coach at St. Edward High School in Lakewood. He has also been a defensive coordinator for three years at Medina Hyland and three years at Brunswick.

Captains Sam Diamond, Josh Goode, Julio Stevens and Jordan Lane will have to learn to work with the new coach. “At first I was kind of nervous, but once he came I think it was a great fit. He is a great coach and he knows a lot of college coaches,” said senior Julio Stevens.

With a new head coach this year comes a whole new coaching staff. The high school assistant coaches are Matt Kostelnik, Jordan Gribble, Rick Ownes, James Sheahan and Marcel Frost. The defensive coordinator contributing is Matt Kostelnik.

Gibbons is positive that the team and the new coach will be able to work together. “They are competitive and want to win,” he said. “They are taking the coaching and doing everything to the best of their ability.”