Athletic Director Ryan Peters Reflects on Historic Year for BHS Teams

“My goal this year is zero ineligible athletes,” said District Director of Athletics Ryan Peters.
Beachcomber Archives

The 2012-13 school year has been the most successful year ever for Beachwood athletics, but for Athletic Director Ryan Peters, this is a stepping stone towards his full vision coming to fruition.

“It’s really a tipping point for Beachwood,” said Peters, noting that many teams had record-breaking years. Both the girls and boys basketball teams had their best record in school history, and wrestler Ryan Harris had the best season in BHS history, ending with a record of 50-0.

“I’m never afraid to say I want to win. If you’re afraid to say you want to win or be the best, you won’t be successful,” Peters said.

“I want our coaches to push our athletes to a point where they shed tears as a result of working so hard,” Peters said. “I want their legs to feel like jello…  I want them to be pushed beyond the limits of what they think they are capable. Once we reach that tipping point our athletes will understand what it takes to be the best both mentally and physically.”

As for Peters’ system and vision, he refers to the athletics department mission statement: “To create an environment focused on pride, unity and victory where student athletes demonstrate a strong social conscience.”

According to Peters, success this year came not only from final numbers on the scoreboard, but from the fact that students, staff and parents “bought in to our system.”

“One of the coolest things I saw this year was Ryan Harris, after he won the state championship, he hugged his dad in one of the tightest hugs I have ever seen. It was a very emotional moment. It sort of epitomized the absolute success… Ryan and his dad put in a ton of time and a lot of passion and a lot of intensity… I love that, I want to see more of that with our kids,” Peters said.

Another very special moment for me was when the boys basketball team defeated Gilmour in the District finals and watching our kids and parents celebrate. The girls basketball team cutting down the net after the District finals was a beautiful sight.

“I think during the basketball season you really saw everybody come together,” Peters said.

As Bison sports teams continue to flourish, Peters is not only looking to the scoreboard to gauge success, but is looking for a change in attitudes as well.

“Anytime [a Beachwood athlete] steps on the court, field, diamond…I want people saying ‘that’s a Beachwood kid’. I want that swagger. I want confidence, but not arrogance. I think we’ll get there,” said Peters.

Ultimately, in his vision for BHS athletics, Peters wants sports to be an experience to learn life lessons.

“The most important part of our [mission statement] is a social conscience,” Peters said. “It’s after the game going up to your parents and teammates and saying ‘thank you,’ going up to the coaches and saying ‘thank you,’ going up to the opposing team and showing exemplary sportsmanship. It’s taking a command of your life [and believing] you are a winner everywhere you go. To me, that’s what our coaches need to teach our kids.”

Record-Breaking Achievements:

Fall

• Varsity girls tennis player Anna Pietch qualified for  states. This was the first time in recent history a BHS girls tennis player had qualified for states.
  • Girls tennis teams won NEOTA Championship
  • Varsity soccer team won CVC Championship
  • Varsity football finished 7-3, nearly missing the state playoffs
  • Six varsity football players earned All-Ohio honors
  • Two varsity football players selected to play in North/South All-Star Game
  • Varsity boys soccer captain Brock Hersch was 2nd Team All-Ohio and 1 of 33 soccer players nationwide to be named High School Academic All-American & CVC MVP
  • Varsity soccer team earns National Soccer Coaches Association – All Academic Honors
  • Head Boys Soccer Coach Brian Green named CVC & All Greater Cleveland Coach of the Year

Winter

• Cheerleading squad brought back the stunting and tumbling program. They won first place at two regional competitions and went to nationals where they finished 4th.
  • Both varsity girls & boys basketball went to regional finals, won District Championship for the first time in school history. Boys team finished 23-4, while the Girls finish 23-3, the best record in school history.
  • 11th grade varsity basketball player John Davis III was named 1st Team All Ohio and D3 Player of the Year. He is the first BHS athlete to gain this title. He reached the milestone of scoring 1000 points in his junior year. He is the first junior to accomplish this feat in school history.
  • Girls Basketball Coach Mike Coreno named Division III Coach of the Year and NE Ohio Coach of the Year.
  • Junior Mikah Aldridge named 2nd Team All Ohio and Aneisha Hardin, Honorable Mention All Ohio
  • Junior Ryan Harris ended his varsity wrestling season with a record of 50-0, the best record of any sports in BHS history. He went to the Ohio House of Representatives to be recognized. He was named the Plain Dealer First Team All Stars
  • Junior Sammy Gross finished in 3rd in the state for varsity wrestling. He was honored as the Sid Luckman High School Jewish Male Scholar Athlete of the Year.
  • Senior Alex Angersola qualified for the wrestling State Tournament
  • Both Harris and Gross qualified for the USA Men’s World team which will compete in the Maccabia Games this summer in Israel. They will be training with Olympic level athletes.
  • Ryan Harris, Aneisha Hardin and Mikah Aldridge selected Plain Dealer Players of the Week
  • Girls indoor track – 4×400-meter relay team placed second at State Tournament, 4×200 squad earned a third place finish

Spring

• The varsity baseball team won the CVC title, knocking off the #2 ranked team in state (Independence).
  • Boys varsity tennis team advanced to OTCA State Final four tournament, first time in school history
  • Karan Gill and Kennedy Mulholland selected Plain Dealer Players of the Week
  • Check back in with bcomber.org for final tennis and track results.