Bison Boys Basketball Follows Girls to District Championship and Beyond

The BHS Bison boys basketball team seized the district championship after a close match against Gilmour on Friday, March 9.

This is the first time in school history the team has won districts, and follows the girls’ clinching their district title for the first time as well.

The first point of the game was scored by Julio Stevens’ free throw. From then on, the game was a tug-of-war match, with both teams doing their very best. The game was so close the winner wasn’t definite even at the very last minute, when the score was 53-52 to Beachwood.

The game was paused three times in that very last minute.

Then, with ten seconds left on the clock, Beachwood scored two free throws, bringing the score to 55-52.

The fans were also a sight to see. As their team lost the lead by a few points, Beachwood fans rallied, filling a large section of the bleachers and standing the whole game, cheering for the Bison.

Last year, it was clear the team had good prospects. They reached the district finals but didn’t manage to clinch it. This year, they came to the court with more confidence and conviction.

“We’re stirring for higher goals because we saw our potential from last year,” said coach Jason Pecjak.

Before the game on Friday, BHS Athletic Director Ryan Peters elaborated on how last year impacted the team.

“They had a taste of success…This year, the team motto is ‘Hungry,’ explained Peters. “They came back hungry… they’ve increased their intensity. These kids have worked very hard…they’re always trying to improve their game,” said Peters.

The team has also learned from the past, and players are using that knowledge to strengthen their plays.

Last month, junior John Davis scored the 1000th point of his high school career. He is the first junior in school history to accomplish this feat.

Despite the team’s amazing performance, there are challenges.

“They have to stay mentally in the game,” said Peters. “If they lose their mental focus, or let things rattle them, like a bad call–those are the things they have to shake off. They can’t let somebody else dictate their play. If they play the way they’re capable of playing, there’s nothing that can stop them.”

Although this was the first time that Beachwood has won the district title, they’re not relaxing, but striving for even higher goals.

“Now we have to get prepared for Wednesday. Next up is Louisville,” said Pecjak, “We’ve seen every type of team this year: fast teams, slow teams, big team, small teams and we’re confident in our ability to win.”

“Everybody stay healthy, everybody stay positive, everybody stay mentally and physically focused on the task at hand, and I think the sky’s the limit for this team,” said Peters.

The Bison will compete in the regional semifinals against St. Thomas Aquinas at 6:15 on Wed., March 13 at Canton Memorial Fieldhouse.