Volleyball Team Rallies for a Cure for Cancer

Everybody is dressed in pink this month for breast cancer awareness month.

Celebrities are wearing pink. NFL players, coaches and referees are wearing pink, and  the BHS volleyball team dressed in pink as they held their Volley for the  Cure game on Oct. 1.

The week of the game, the players sold shirts reading “Volley for the Cure,” which they wore during the game along with pink ribbons honoring breast cancer awareness month.

By selling wristbands, sweatshirts and t-shirts, the team raised around $500 for breast cancer research.

The junior varsity and varsity played against the Cuyahoga Hts. Redskins in a couple of intense games. The JV won while the varsity did not come up as lucky in their own close games.

The junior varsity won in four sets, while the varsity lost in three. Both sets of games were hard-fought and entertaining.

Jadea Stevens, (#20) came up from JV to start in the varsity game, and made a big difference. Stevens played aggressively with multiple scores and assist.

“I was so happy and excited to play in the varsity game. I wanted to be the best player out there and I believe I fulfilled that accomplishment,” said Stevens.

Before the game, a coach’s daughter, a cute little girl named Ryan sang the national anthem.

“[It was] one of the best [renditions of] the national anthem I ever heard,” said sophomore varsity player Tyler Devon Thomas.

“I am so happy and proud for what [the volleyball team] did for breast cancer awareness month,” said JV player Marilyn Farley. “I can’t wait for next year so I can have another reason to wear all pink in the volleyball game.”

Following the example of volleyball, the football team is planning to wear as much pink as they can for for this friday’s CVC (Chagrin Valley Conference) game, also against the Cuyahoga Hts. Redskins.