Girls Tennis Team Swings for Success

Girls Tennis Team Swings for Success
On Thursday, Sept. 26, the tennis team will compete at the CVC conference tournament in Kenston followed by the sectional tournament next week.
After beating their 2011 record of 6-3 with their current  record of 12-7, the girls tennis team is trying to make it to states this year. The team is currently undefeated in the Northeast Ohio Tennis Association.The team’s record isn’t the only thing that changed this year.
The team has a new captain and three new members to the varsity tennis squad.“[Captain Monique Crosby] has made a big improvement from last year and has became mentally tougher,” said Coach Sara Crane. New players include freshmen Lynn Jiao and Jessica Tall, and junior Anna Pietsch. Originally from Germany, Pietsch is currently the number one single on the team and is a strong contender for states this year.
Another major change is the loss of player Kennedy Mulholland. “Kennedy will be missed in her last chance to play high school tennis; she would definitely add to the team if she had played,”  Crane said.The loss of Mulholland isn’t the only disadvantage the team faces this season. “The girls need to play all year around, but [there is] not a lot of time due to matches,” said Crane.
On the doubles side of the court, the team has not found the best match for the number one single for the team but at the looks of things it will eventually be decided. The girls also need to work on is their match experience.
The varsity girls team consists of Monique Crosby, Rebecca Kuang, Shannon Finkenthal, Anna Pietsch, Jessica Tall, Lynn Jiao and Samantha Tall.