BHS Cheerleading Squad Reaches New Heights

The cheerleaders are getting more competitive this year, with revitalized, vivacious attitudes and new routines.

This is the first year in the team’s history that stunting and tumbling routines are included.

Stunting describes a maneuver in which a cheerleader is lifted up in the air. The levels and variations are numerous, varying from pyramids to basket tosses in which individuals are thrown in the air, caught and gently set down. Tumbling involves acrobatic and gymnastic feats like back handsprings and front and back tucks.

One of the district’s new coaches, Kayla Bevis, has contributed to these changes.

“[Bevis]  actually cheers at John Carroll University, and is the one that got us into stunting. She also coaches at Lake Shore [Gymnastics],” said head coach Colleen Schachtel.

“[Bevis] is awesome. She’s straight to the point and keeps us all working and together,” said senior captain Amira Hardy.

It seems that Bevis has a positive impact on the squad, but a new coach and new cheer routines aren’t the only changes this season.

“The overall energy of [the team] is completely different. We’re very excited this year. In past years, people, even the cheerleaders have taken it as a joke, and now, it’s like a sport. Almost everything is completely different,” commented senior first officer Toni Nicholas.

Apart from the physical cheering and stunting this season, the general vibe of the entire team is different this year. The attitudes and outlooks of the girls have changed to fit with their expectations and new challenges.

“This year we’re much more dedicated…The girls are more involved, and there’s more friendship and communication with each other,” said senior captain Imani Wells.

Yet another change is competition. Schachtel noted that the squad will be attending a cheerleading competition in Chardon, and hosting a competition in March.

Schachtel complimented this year’s squad “This is my 13th year coaching, and I’ve never seen such drive,” she said.

“We’re going to try to be more involved, make things more fun, and try to get more spirit from the fans,” stated Wells.