Athletic Dept. Implements Tougher Eligibility Requirements

Photo from Beachcomber archives by Jeff Murtaugh

Next fall, Beachwood athletes will face some changes. The athletic department has implemented new eligibility requirements beginning with the current semester’s grades.

According to Athletic Director Ryan Peters, the original requirement was that athletes pass a minimum of five one-credit courses that count towards graduation. “Our requirements were the OHSAA state minimum,” said Peters. He explained the new requirement: “Our student athletes must not be carrying any F’s and they must have at least a 2.0 GPA when their grades are released. Students must be enrolled in a minimum of five (5) one credit courses.”

“Additionally, academic eligibility will be reviewed at the end of each quarter. Student-athletes who have been deemed ineligible, but passed at least 5 one-credit classes, will have the opportunity to regain eligibility after four weeks if they are earning a 2.0 quarterly GPA and earning passing grades in all their courses,” Peters explained.

These requirements go into effect at the start of the fourth quarter, and will first impact the student athletes that play fall sports.

This seems like a big step up.  According to Peters, the old requirement was the state minimum. Peters is confident that our student athletes can make the grades and reach higher levels of success in the classroom. “Our student athletes understand the values of hard work, dedication and excellence. Meeting these new standards should not be difficult for student athletes that are committed to helping their teams reach the ultimate levels of success,” he said. “We want to be looked at as an excellent academic institution and to do this we should also expect our student athletes to excel in the classroom.”

Peters feels that these higher standards will improve Beachwood’s sports teams in the future. “Classroom excellence comes first,” he said. “In order to be considered an excellent athlete you must first be considered an excellent student. The teams that usually win state championships, which is our goal, accomplish this feat with student athletes that excel in the classroom and on the playing field.”

“Beachwood students shouldn’t have any trouble meeting these new standards,” he said. “We want to be [seen] as a very good institution academically and to do this we should expect our athletes to excel in the classroom.”

Peters feels that higher expectations will improve Beachwood’s sports teams in the future. “Classroom excellence comes first,” he said. “In order to be considered an excellent athlete you must first be considered an excellent student.”

Assistant baseball coach and English teacher Todd Butler agrees that raising expectations is a good idea.

“Ohio, not just Beachwood, should elevate their requirement standards,” said Butler. However, he thought that Beachwood’s jump up to a 2.0 and no F’s may have been “a little too high, a little too quick.” Butler feels that a gradual change may have been a good idea.

Butler feels that successful student athletes are those who meet their responsibilities as “student first, athlete second.”

Girls’ lacrosse coach and science teacher Joe Burwell was in favor of these new requirements.

“[The school is] not asking too much of the athletes, and the students who are struggling are able to get help if they need it,” he said. “The teammates of these players will pull together to help each other.”

“[The new eligibility requirements] support [Beachwood’s] primary mission, educating students and readying them for the next challenge which would be college or working a job,” said Burwell.

Junior baseball player Von Jones said, “[The new eligibility requirements] are smart for the school. They give the students the incentive to work towards improvement in their grades, rather than just working for sports.”

Junior football player Armani Smith voiced more of a negative opinion. “[The new requirements] might hurt the teams who have athletes who aren’t performing in the classroom at as high a level as some other team’s athletes.” Smith continued, “The new rule will make the players work a lot harder in the classroom if they want to keep playing their sport.”

“If you are failing a class you should be spending your time studying instead of playing sports anyway. Grades are more important than athletics,” said swimmer and junior Kauner Hooper, who is in favor of the new rule.

Softball player and sophomore Annie Adelman suggested that the new regulation “may hurt some of the teams quite a bit at first.” However, she thought that it was a good idea because it will encourage athletes to focus on academics.

It may take a little while for Beachwood students and coaches to adjust to the new regulations, but in the long run, they should hopefully prove very beneficial to everyone involved.