November Off-Season Ends for BHS Athletes

BHS athletes have rigorous schedules: nonstop practices and games that absorb the majority of an athlete’s time during sports seasons. Many athletes play multiple sports, meaning their schedules are packed for most of the year. But November is a chance to rest.  BHS athletes say the month off is necessary and well-deserved, although it is short lived and is now coming to an end.

Fall sports came to an end by November. Now that December is rolling around, athletes have to get back in the locker rooms.

“The November break gives me a chance to get my academic and social life back on track, my sleep has improved drastically and I can just come home and lay on the couch when I get home from school,” said Noah Mitchell, a lineman for the BHS football team.

Not all players agree that the break is entirely positive.

“The November break is just a distraction. I become lazier during the break and my athletic performance worsens exponentially,” said Howard Sobel, the Varsity team’s starting tight end. Since Howard is a senior, this November marked his first ever-permanent break from football.

Most athletes feel that the break grants athletes more free time and boosts their performance in school. Football is not the only sport that offers this break.  Soccer and tennis players also enjoy the luxury of the month off.  Indoor soccer usually starts by early December and workouts for the school team resume by the end of December or early January. Girls’ tennis players are encouraged to attend local clinics and matches to improve their game for next fall.

Athletic Director Ryan Peters said, “I view November break and breaks between seasons as critical time for an athlete. It is a time period for their body to recover and rest. These days and potential weeks off are critical to the success of a student athlete’s season.”

“Some athletes just want to relax and enjoy themselves. This break gives them time to clear their head and get ready for the upcoming season,” he said.

Peters added that when he coached he always gave his athletes breaks between seasons and on some occasions during the season. If a kid looked tired and burnt out from the sport, he would give them a day or two off to recover.

Elena Ross, the captain of our school’s drill team is also given the month off as the team takes a break from dance practices and performing at football games.

“After two months of straight practicing and creating dance routines, I have feel as though I need this break to focus on my school work more and start applying to college,” Ross said.

Ross went on to say how her position in the drill team takes up a majority of her time. Since she is the director of White and Gold and the leadership conference planning committee, she has difficulty finding time to squeeze in her schoolwork

As our school comes off one of its most successful seasons in football and our soccer team has once again displayed its potential to compete in the region, our athletes clearly earned this break.  High school requires a lot of focus and dedication.  Our athletes needed this well-deserved rest and time to re-energize as they prepare for the winter sports season.