Girls’ Soccer Team Finishes Challenging Season

Girls Soccer Team Finishes Challenging Season

Everything that begins, of course must end.

Oct. 19 marked the end of the girls’ soccer season with a loss to Gilmour Academy in the first round of the playoffs. They finished the season with a 7-8 record.

Assistant coach Kelly Debeljak explained that this has been a difficult year with players experiencing injuries including a concussion, stress fractures, as well as hip and routine muscle pulls and sprains.

She explained that concussions were caused by players’ heads making contact with fast-moving balls. Other injuries could have been caused by the intensity of play or not enough conditioning.

She also explained what is being done to prevent the injuries in future.  The strength and conditioning coach will work with the team during the off-season to build strength and endurance to hopefully prevent injuries during the next season.

After goalie Alex Mintz broke her hand, senior Carly Wolfheiler filled in for the last four games.

Wolfheiler said,”I played as goalie when I was in eighth grade. Goalie was always my position whenever I played soccer in the past.”

Debeljak said,”She did a great job considering she has not played in three and a half years. Without her we would have been lost during the last four games of the season.”

Wolfheiler concluded by saying that the hardest thing about filling in as goalie was getting used to the schedule and changing her daily routine.

Captain Amy Eisenberg said, “Beating Berkshire during the last regular-season game was  the  best moment of the season.”