Bison Football Finishes Season with Honor in Loss to West Geauga

Josh Davis
Aggressive defense was key to the victory against Gilmour. Photo by Ena Jones.

On Saturday afternoon in Chagrin Falls, the seniors of the Beachwood Bison football team mustered an incredible performance, although they did lose to West G 28-25, they played their last game in style.

The Bison came out fired up and ready to play, as they stopped the Wolverines on fourth down on their first possession. The Bison fell behind early 7-0 after an interception gave West G a short field to score from. Beachwood answered quickly as they drove right down the field and Ari Sobel scored on a four-yard touchdown run. Unfortunately for the Bison, starting center and long-snapper Armani Smith was injured on the play and did not return to the game.

The extra-point attempt failed making the score 7-6. The Bison scored again after Hohl accomplished a one-yard quarterback sneak. The Bison went for two but failed, keeping the score at 12-7. West G returned the kick for a touchdown, giving the Wolverines a 14-12 lead.

Beachwood scored again when David Shapiro was left uncovered, caught a pass, broke a tackle and raced 70 yards for another touchdown. The Bison again went for two and again failed making the score 18-14 at the half.

West G scored in the third quarter to take a 21-18 lead before blocking a punt and returning it for another score in the fourth extending their lead to 28-18. Beachwood scored one last time as Corey Jones rushed four yards for a score on a QB option making the score 25-28.

The Bison had one last chance with three seconds left but were unable to go 88 yards for a winning score.

The game was played at Chagrin Falls because neither team’s field was playable.

The Bison sent their seniors out with one of their best-played games of the season, as nobody thought that Beachwood would even be in the game, but they were able to push West G to the limit. The Bison’s final record on the season was 6-4, an improvement from last season when they went 5-5.