Bison Boys’ Soccer Team Beats Blue Devils 3-1

A gloomy Saturday night at Wickliffe High School became even worse as the rain began to fall on an already shredded pitch.
The Bison soccer team couldn’t care less.
The rain seemed to have been brought on by a beautiful right-footed strike in the 63rd minute from senior captain Matt Levine, giving the Bison a lead which they wouldn’t relinquish. Brock Hersch went on to add an insurance goal.
The Bison defeated the previously unbeaten Blue Devils on their own turf, 3-1.
The field was nearly unplayable due to mud already slick with precipitation. Defense was the name of the game, and senior goaltender Blake Atherton brought his A-game. After senior Kaveh Varghai scored late in the first half to take a one nil lead, Atherton shut down the nets. Making save after save, he looked almost impervious but the Blue Devils managed to find a chink in the armor. After a questionable foul in the box, the Blue Devils scored their lone goal on a penalty kick to tie the game at one.
Levine came back with his rain-bringing goal on the very next possession for the Bison. A few minutes later Hersch added his insurance goal after a misplayed ball from the Blue Devils.
Senior David Stern said, “We knew we were playing an unbeaten team, so all the pressure was on them. We came out very relaxed and we just played a great game.”
When asked about Levine’s go-ahead goal Stern said, “That was the most excited I have ever been during a soccer game. It was a very competitive game and it was huge for us to get the momentum back.”The Bison’s next game is Sept. 13 when they will travel to Painesville Harvey.