Student Council Candidates Present Qualifications

Kaveh Varghai and Lauren Lipsyc are candidates for Student Council Exec Board President.

Kaveh Varghai and Lauren Lipsyc are candidates for Student Council Exec Board President. Image by Or Bairey-Sehayek.

By Courtney Fishman

The Beachcomber grilled the candidates for Student Council Exec Board President about what qualifies them for office.  See their responses below…

Lauren Lipsyc Kaveh Varghai
Why do you want to be Executive President of BHS?

Since freshman year I have worked hard to be involved and improve the lives of students here at BHS. Now, as a rising senior, I realize that the office of Executive President on Student Council will allow me to continue to achieve this goal, work hard, and deliver results. I personally think that I am good for the job because I believe to be typical BHS student, and I believe that this is very important because I can then relate more to the high school’s student body. I can relate with them about classes, weakness in some classes, and also student concerns. I believe that I am a well-rounded person who is very social. I’m not only well rounded in school activities, but also the classes I have taken. I play sports and take part of many extracurricular so I can relate with student who have time management problems, and hopefully I can help them if possible.

What makes you stand out against your candidate?

I will be the first person to admit that I am running against a great candidate. However, I strongly believe that my extensive experience is completely necessary to be successful as Executive President. By working closely with the Executive Presidents since freshman year, I have experienced almost first-hand the necessary dedication it requires and I have learned the most efficient and effective ways to accomplish goals. In addition, I have had comprehensive leadership training at over six different conferences and I am currently taking a leadership development class, aimed at leading people within organizations just like Student Council.

The last three years of my high school career, we’ve always had a  president who was advanced in every subject, and I, being just a average student who takes advance courses along with normal course, will have and bring a broader view of the school. I believe that the average BHS student is like this, so me as President would be representing more of the high school’s students.
Why are you qualified to be Executive President of BHS?

The most important, unspoken qualification for the office of Executive President at BHS is dedication, or how much one cares. However, I also have many other qualifications for this responsibility. Primarily, experience is a must at this level. In the 2008-2009 school year I served as the Vice-President of the Class of 2012, in the 2009-2010 school year I served as the President of the Class of 2012, and in 2010-2011, I have served the entire school as the Executive Secretary. Through all of my hard work and experience, I know exactly what it takes. I have learned which strategies work and which do not as well as what we appreciate and what we do not. Additionally, I have not only strengthened my leadership skills through experience but also through numerous weekend conferences, day conferences, and luncheon meetings. I think I’m qualified to be the President because I am a well-rounded student. I do many activities, I play a sport, and at the same time I manage to be a successful student in class. I believe that I’ve had a lot of experience in high school. I have taken many different courses of classes with different teachers, so I am used to and know about many things that take place in school. Also I am a very hard worker. I get my job done, and I hardly rest until I get everything done. Fortunately I only average five hours of sleep a night, so I have a lot of time to get my job done.
What are some specific ideas you plan on bringing to Student Council in the 2011-2012 school For the 2011-2012 school year, I plan on having a regular drop box in the office and on the internet, serving as a place for you to let your creativity wander! I want to know all of your ideas, from the wonderfully wacky ones to the distinguished, deep ones.  Then, once we act on YOUR ideas, we will be able to represent a larger portion of the school and plan fun events that the majority of BHS will enjoy. Thus, this both attracts more students and improves the overall spirit of BHS. In addition, I would love to pump-up the entire Homecoming and Snoball weekends with fun spirit days, activities, and music the entire week. I think that we need to improve the school spirit by doing more spirit day events. For example a pajama day or have everyone wear gold one day. However I am a student myself so I know how sometimes students are in a rush to get to school, so they would never think of spirit day. Therefore, we would need to come up with more spirit day ideas that are really easy for students to do. But none of this is possible without good communication. So again I have a couple of ideas on how to improve communication, which hopefully we can put into work next year.