Freshmen Contribute to Football Team Gains

The photos above are from the team’s loss to Independence on Sept 24th.

Photos by Kharen Baduria

The photos above are from the team's loss to Independence on Sept 24th.

By Haley Marblestone, Staff Writer

Since many valuable BHS football players graduated last year, some people were scared about this year’s team. The team has several new players including a new corner back, safety, linebacker, and right tackle.  Where did we get these players?  Four of them come from the freshman class, and they have worked hard to help the team improve.

“I think we are good this year,” said freshmen starter Julio Stevens.

Athletic Director Ryan Peters explained, “I am pleased with the way they play.  The have showed a lot of heart.” With a record of 3-3 currently, everyone is still trying to figure out how to mesh the older and younger kids together to act more as a team.

Peters said, “the advantages of having freshmen starters on the team are the growth and future of the program, it gives them major experience, and by the time they are seniors, we will be the dominant team.”

The freshmen also said how much they truly love the sport and are happy to be on the varsity team.  Head Coach Ryan Williams said, “five freshman guys were ready for varsity and stepped in and filled their role.  The main thing they have helped change is the future generation of freshman to know it is possible to play varsity right away.”

A great number of freshmen volunteered to play this year with 17 new freshmen overall and five on the varsity team.  Josh Goode starts as right tackle along with Jordan Raine playing linebacker.  Also, Julio Stevens plays safety, and Sterling Sanders just started last week starting at cornerback.

One worry for Ryan Peters with having freshmen on the varsity team is their safety.  However, he says, both mentally and physically “these kids are tough enough to handle it.”

Sterling Sanders added,” I am a small kid but I don’t feel small when playing.  I am tough enough.”

There is a lot more pressure playing on varsity coming from the middle school team.  All of the players agreed that the pressure is greater.  Julio Stevens said, “ The difference between JV and Varsity is the fact that Varsity players are faster and bigger and JV players are smaller.  I feel out of place due to my scrawniness and I’m short.”  Playing Varsity as a freshman is not the easiest accomplishment.  You have to be ready to work hard and get out on the field.  “A lot more commitment is involved,” said Julio Stevens.

The football team has been practicing hard in daily practice to improve from last year.

In their recent homecoming game, The Bison defeated Newbury 37-10. Junior quarterback Alex Hohl accounted for three touchdowns, throwing two and running for another. Junior running back Ari Sobel was also a key contributor, rushing for two long touchdowns. The Bison look to improve their record next week against Berkshire.