Beachwood Defeats Hawken, 66-58

Senior Stephen Yarbrough rises for the rebound against Hawken. Photo by Kharen Baduria.

Senior Stephen Yarbrough rises for the rebound against Hawken.  Photo by Kharen Baduria.

By Kaulin Hooper

January 9th–The temperature is below freezing. It’s a Saturday night, and the BHS parking lot is packed. Adults, children, students begin filing in, buying their tickets and taking their spots on the bleachers. Everyone is waiting. Over the speaker, a thunderous voice signals that the game is abut to begin… out runs the Beachwood Bison basketball team.

Warm-ups begin as usual, then the beginning whistle, and then tipoff. The game begins with Beachwood in a steady lead. However, turnovers and missed opportunities let Hawken crawl back to within striking distance going into halftime.

Coach Jason Pecjak’s halftime speech had the desired inspiration, because at the beginning of the second half, the Bison were ready to play. However, the Hawks would not go down without a fight. The game went down to the wire, but eventually the Bison would prevail with a win by a score of 66-58.

“We really played like a team and looked to find good shots. We looked to find the better shot before taking it ourselves. The defense talked well and we hit the big shots in the clutch” Junior Andrew Somogyi said, “We usually play only about one half as a team, but that game we played as a team the whole game and it really showed and paid off.”

Ari Meskin, Juinor also shared his contentment for how the team played, “We finally put four quarters together of all out effort, and when we do that, we truly realize how successful we can be.”

At publication, The Boys Varsity Basketball team is 6-7 (3-2 in the CVC). There is a game Tuesday, February 2nd at Cuyahoga Heights.