Creative Halloween Costumes Stimulate School Spirit

For BHS, Halloween seems to be what you make it. While many students did not dress up this year, those who did enjoyed embracing the spirit of the holiday by shamelessly dressing up in silly costumes.

“I love Halloween,” said senior Max Barnett, who dresses up for Halloween every year. “This year people were confused as to what my costume was. Truthfully, I had no idea either, I just threw some random silly looking clothes on.”

On the other hand, sophomore Saige Eitman attempted to go for a more recognizable look, by dressing up in a one-piece Elmo pajama suit. Even though many people criticized her outfit, Eitman thought it was creative.

“People said that I looked an idiot. People asked me if I was dressed up as a toddler!” said Eitman.

Senior Emma Rubenstein also thought outside the box this Halloween, by putting the old saying ‘when life gives you lemons’ into costume. Rubenstein wore a shirt that said ‘Life’ on the front, and held lemons in her hands throughout the school day.

“People were upset that I didn’t let them keep the lemon,” said Rubenstein, “But besides that they really liked my outfit.”

However, when asked if most people were in the Halloween spirit, Rubenstein commented, “I think some people had fun with Halloween this year. I think it was a lot harder due to weather. If it were nicer outside more people probably would have dressed up.”

Barnett agreed, saying, “I don’t think it seemed as spirited it’s been before, and I didn’t see as many costumes as usual.”

Nevertheless, Halloween is still a great opportunity to stimulate school spirit. The senior girls, who traditionally have a unified costume theme, had a good turnout with their cowgirl apparel.

Senior Class President Shravya Govindgari commented, “Seeing all the cowgirl boots and hats gave me hope in school spirit.”

Student Council President Sammie Jacobs agreed, saying, “I think [the senior girls outfits] turned out well. For the people who did it, I think they really had fun with it.”

Even those who did not dress up enjoyed the costumes, such as sophomore Brad Stephens. “I’m not really one to dress up for Halloween,” said Stephens. “But I do feel Halloween helps increase school spirit. I saw a lot of really cool costume themes, and a lot of full body costumes.”

Ultimately, Halloween is just an opportunity to bring BHS together, as Jacobs duly noted, when she said, “Whether or not you chose to dress up, Halloween is really just a way to have everyone come together.”