Construction Crew Prepares for High School Opening

As of Aug. 29, BHS students should be able to work out in a new auxiliary gym, learn in new and renovated classrooms and display their creativity in the new art room.

According to Assistant Superintendent Robert Hardis, new music classrooms will be completed in mid-Sept. “This is one of the more complicated portions of the construction project,” he said. “Workers are tying in new construction into the existing building.”

Hardis noted that music classes will meet in the auditorium for the first few weeks of school, and then they will move to the brand new classrooms.
After the music classes move, spaces around the auditorium will be finished, and emergency exits will be made ready for use. “When that happens, we will have full occupancy of the auditorium again,” Hardis said.

Once the auditorium is finished and construction fencing is taken down, there will be access again to a path linking BHS and BMS. The path will be paved and open for use during football games.

Hardis explained that the new two-story auxiliary gym has locker rooms, basketball courts and a multipurpose room for wrestling team practices. He added that the new art room has a kiln room, a painting area, a storage room and large windows to let in natural light. Hardis also mentioned that the classrooms in the new 100/200 wing are large and have air conditioning, short-throw projectors, whiteboards and wireless internet access with no dead zones.

He stated that the 500/600/700 wings have been gutted and redone with air conditioning and new walls, ceilings, lighting, energy efficient windows, lockers and classroom floors. Hardis also said that the 500/600/700 wings have whiteboards in the classrooms and a cut-through hallway where the old math offices used to be.

Anthony Mirando, Assistant Superintendent for Turner Construction, explained that classroom walls are more soundproof in order to minimize noise and disruption from other areas.

He added that new emergency routes are posted in every classroom, and that all the teachers have been made aware of all the new egress routes and will describe them to students.

As for the old 100/200 wing, demolition began on Aug. 1. Hardis described the scene: “…Bricks [were] flying and chalkboards cracking in half and crashing to the ground.” According to Jim Collins, Project Superintendent for Turner Construction, all the materials from the demolition were removed from the school grounds and brought to a recycling yard.

Hardis described the next phase of the renovation of BHS, “The old 100/200 wing area will remain a construction zone for this school year. The area between the north gym and the old 100/200 wing, which contained boiler/electrical rooms and the whole utility infrastructure for the high school, is going to become a new library. The new library will be ready in time for the start of the 2013-14 school year. The area of the current library will become the new Channel 22 television studio. Also, the renovated north gym, as well as the renovated cafeteria, will be ready in time for the 2013-14 school year.”

Again this year, there will be a temporary hallway connecting the main part of the building to the new 100/200 wing. “Instead of a temporary hallway with drywall walls and a roof, students will be going to the new 100/200 wing through unfinished classrooms,” Hardis said.

Construction plans include a new entrance from Richmond Road to BHS, with three lanes instead of the current two. Hardis stated that plans for the new entrance are awaiting approval from the City of Beachwood.

At publication, the renovation of BHS is on time and on budget. According to Hardis, there have not been any setbacks, even after the April 2012 roof truss collapse. “The fact that we had a very dry summer was helpful because when it rains, there’s a lot more protection work to be done if you have exposed areas,” he said.

Enthusiastic about the renovation of BHS, Hardis declared, “I hope that people are really thrilled with the new spaces, and that they see we’ve got a building that, now, matches the accomplishments of the students and staff inside it.”

New BHS Principal Ed Klein and BHS Athletic Director Ryan Peters are also pleased with the high school renovation. “I think that the plans are fantastic, and as the next phases move forward, I believe that things will tie up nicely,” Klein commented.

“I’m excited to see the students walking down the hallways on the first day of school, and to see their faces as they are surprised by all of the new construction work,” Peters added.

Senior Brandon Rotsky is also excited about the high school transformation. “I’m excited to not only see the new auxiliary gym, multipurpose room, showers and lockers, but also to see the changes from the old building to the new,” he said.

On a lighter note, several students are happy about the new ceilings in the high school. Sophomore Jaime Rotsky said she is looking forward to not having snow fall on her in math class. Senior Max Yanowitz is hopeful the high school will have a roof that doesn’t leak.