Common Application Eases College Application Process

As the 2012 school year begins, BHS seniors begin the tedious routine of  the college application process.  Teenagers today may have it easier than previous generations during the college process, thanks to the wide acceptance of the online Common Application, which allows students to fill out one application instead of one separate document for each college.

The Common Application was introduced in 1975 with 15 schools participating. It now boasts 500 participating schools.

BHS senior Jessica Friedman likes the convenience of the Common App. “I can apply to any school I want. It’s so easy to just do a little homework and then log in and fill out some of Common App and then save it and return to finishing it later.”

Although some feel that the Common App has taken away some hassle from seniors, the stress level still affects students’ moods during the first half of the year.

Friedman feels that although school has become less stressful because it’s senior year, students are now directing their focus primarily to college applications. Other students have acknowledged the Common App as a positive tool.

Howard Sobel said, “Since I plan to apply to so many Universities and I am not sure where I am going, the Common App has removed some stress from my application process and has lessened the workload that used to be necessary when applying to numerous schools.”

From filling out the application, maximizing GPA and performance on the ACT and SATs, recommendation letters, and the notorious college essay, applying to college has always been a burden, but it is now more competitive than ever.

Guidance counselor Carolyn Beeler has slowly watched the college process enter the 21st Century. Regarding the Common App she said, “It certainly has resulted in colleges receiving more applications.”  She continued, “It also shows if someone either loves the school, or is just finding a school to get into.”

College admissions departments who accept the Common App agree that the Internet has been helped more students apply.

Elizabeth Lee, Director of Admission at Cleveland State University said, “There are definitely advantages for both the student and the college /university when a student applies on line – the application is more accessible to the students, it can be faster to process.”

Beeler explained that when she applied to college things were much different. “It was so simple, you took the ACT or SAT, you applied to a school, you were accepted and you went. There was no psychology behind it, it wasn’t about where you could get in but where you really fit,” she said.

Beeler encourages seniors to apply to schools that seem like a reach in order to test their luck.  She continuously reminds students that it’s not all about test scores and GPA, but, “everything that a student brings to the table.”

Lee also has advice for BHS seniors: “Stay organized, keep good records and notes on when you send things to colleges and universities; be timely – know the deadlines and stick to them. Visit the campus, talk to current students, make sure it’s a good fit for you, and to remember to stay calm and have fun with the experience.” Lee knows how stressful this time can be and reminds incoming applications how much easier things are now thanks to the Common App.