Halloween is Coming. Are you Too Old to Trick or Treat?

Most BHS students are doing something to celebrate Halloween. Some are going to costume parties and haunted houses, while others opt to watch horror movies with friends. And then of course, some students are participating in the classic Halloween tradition: trick or treating. Opinions differ over whether trick or treating is something you should really be doing in your high school years.

Many students feel that the time to stop should be around college age.

“You’re still young and you want to have fun. And besides: free candy,” explained Senior Amy Roderick. “[On previous] Halloweens, I’ve either gone trick or treating or to costume parties.”

“You should stop when you’re 19. … once you’re past [18] you start looking like an adult,” said Junior Jared Williams. “I’ve gone trick or treating every year. Last year I was Mike the situation, and the year before I was a dead Salesman,” said Williams.

To other students, such as Freshman Susan Eiban, Middle School is the proper time for students to stop trick or treating. “After that, it’s like stealing candy from kids,” she commented, and many agree with her. To these students, trick or treating should be a pastime reserved for younger kids, not for teens about to go into college, who can buy their own candy.

Among teachers, many of whom have kids of their own, opinions also tend to vary.

“I think middle school is the appropriate time for kids to stop trick or treating, because it is a specific time in their lives where they are beginning to transition into young adults,” said English teacher Casey Mathews.

“I want kids to be kids…as long as you are dressed up, participating in the right spirit and not getting into trouble I like to see teenagers trick or treating. There is enough time to be an adult, so enjoy childhood,” said social studies teacher Melissa Buddenhagen.

“Probably around the early high school years – say freshmen year. Freshmen are starting to become independent young adults, and it makes sense to leave the door-to-door trick or treating to the younger kids. It’s one of those youth activities that should begin to fall away as young adulthood emerges,” said social studies teacher Greg Deegan.

But whatever one’s opinion is on trick or treating, all agree that the holiday of Halloween should be spent in the spirit of fun.