Sizzling Spots: New Lunch Spots Open in Beachwood

By Jerry Gordon, Staff Writer

Ever hungry, but tired of the same old restaurants? Well, since last year, plenty of tasty new eating establishments have opened in Beachwood, including Five Guys Burgers and Fries, The Olive Garden, and some new additions to the Beachwood Place food court. There’s plenty of selection and variety for anybody’s taste buds.

For the hearty carnivores among us, there’s a new place to get burgers and fries: Five Guys. According to Katie, a cashier at the new Harvard location, the restaurant became packed this summer with “babies, teens, adults, and even some teachers.” Five Guys has been in the news lately because it’s President Obama’s favorite burger restaurant.

The closest location used to be in Mayfield, but now “it’s became a hit spot for lunch,” so BHS students can now make it there and back during a block lunch. The prices are good, but the food is better. The only thing missing is milkshakes, which “isn’t in any future plans, but you never know,” said Katie.

Beachwood Place has always been a hit spot for a longer lunch, or just to hang out. In the middle of last year, the food court was moved from downstairs to upstairs. Some restaurants left, including McDonald’s and Great Steak and Potato Company. Other restaurants opened, including Charlie’s Sub place, Café Fresh and Currito.

Josh Schwarz, who works at the Subway in the mall, described Currito as a “knock-off Chipotle.” Schwarz usually works on weekends, but he hears that Subway is a popular spot for lunch.

According to Shwarz, the most popular among students is “hands down Chick-Fil-A, next would be Asian Chow.” Referring to Chic-Fil-A, Schwarz said, “Kids love it, and anything kids love is always a winner, and teens love it too.”

The good thing about Beachwood Place is that it’s right around the corner from the high school, so even during a normal lunch period, it’s possible to grab lunch to go if you have a car. There’s also a huge selection of food you can get, so you’re not limited to just pizza or a sub. You can even get some dessert from Auntie Anne’s Pretzels, or candy from the Sweet Factory downstairs if you have a sweet tooth.

Senior Matt Banchek said, “If the school lunches weren’t so boring and unappetizing, more students wouldn’t have to go out to lunch.”

Most students will eat their school lunch, or lunch brought from home, but when we have an extended lunch or study hall, many of us are out the door headed to the mall or to a nearby restaurant to grab a bite to eat.