BHS Students Consider Global Warming

By Staff Writer, Monica Arkin

As Beachwood High School students become more aware of global warming, wiser decisions are being made in terms of school transportation.

According to CNW Marketing Research, forty-one percent of all sixteen to nineteen-year-olds in the U.S. own cars, including many students in Beachwood. However, the American Public Transportation Association (APTA) found that if just one household would make the transition from using personal vehicles to public transportation, they would save up to twenty pounds of carbon emissions per day.

So while taking the bus is the most environmentally friendly option, this is difficult for students who play sports or who need to attend academy period.

Senior Jordan Krantz finds that driving himself to school is beneficial because he can “come and go” when he pleases. Junior Allie Debeljak agreed, saying that with her own car she is able to go to school early or stay late without having to worry about catching a ride or bus.

So while many students drive their own cars to and from school every day, they still aim to be efficient by giving others rides.

“People always ask for rides,” said Krantz. He drives his younger brother to school every day and sometimes his neighbor.

Debeljak drives three neighbors to school every day, and said “it would be a lot worse for the environment if all three people I took were taking three different cars.”

It is this mentality that the younger generation has been raised with, and they will continue to protect and preserve the environment. Debeljak believes that all students should carpool, especially if they play the same sports.

“Offer rides to people whom live close and alternate days driving,” she advises.