Turkey Hunting in Beachwood?

By Lauren Wyman, Staff Writer

In the back yards of many Beachwood residents, a newcomer has recently arrived. This “new neighbor” of sorts likes flowers, gobbles down food, speaks in an obnoxious voice–and just so happensto be Ben Franklin’s favorite bird.

Over the past several years, Beachwood has amassed a significant wild turkey population. Mostly
concentrated in the nominal “Upper Beachwood,” the turkeys gobble their way through the food supply of errant gardens and fruitlessly attempt to fly away when chased by BHS students who don’t seem to have enough homework to occupy their time.

BHS Senior Andrew Darvin is one of the students who had turkeys living in his backyard for a while.
“They just kind of hang out in our backyard,” said Darvin. “I haven’t seen them much lately, though.”
Senior Eric Siverman added, “We had a family of turkeys in our yard…they were so bizarre.”

According to Ohio law, the hunting of wild turkeys is legal—but, unfortunately for those who spend
too long waiting in line for a frozen turkey at Heinins, hunting is illegal in Beachwood. As the Beachwood Codified Ordinances states, “The hunting of animals or fowl within the Municipality is prohibited. No
person shall hunt, kill or attempt to kill any animal or fowl by the use of firearms or any other means.”
In fact, upon further investigation about what exactly Beachwood residents can do with the thanksgiving
meals on legs that wander around the city, the Beachcomber discovered that pet turkeys are not allowed within city borders.

Again, as the Beachwood Codified Ordinances states, “No person shall keep any fowl [fowl includes geese,
turkeys, ducks, chickens and any other similar type of bird] within the City unless such fowl is restrained
at all times in a structure designed to house fowl. Such structure shall be no larger than four feet by four
feet by four feet, shall be enclosed on all sides and on top, and shall be maintained in sanitary condition and in good repair. Such structure shall conform to all Code requirements and shall be located not less than 20 feet from the rear or side yard line and not less than 200 feet from any existing residence on an adjacent property.”

Now that just about ruins my thanksgiving plans…