As Weather Cools, Homecoming Parade and Bonfire Warm Hearts

Friday, Sept. 28 — After the high school parade and the annual candy-throwing ritual,  students enjoyed the return of the annual bonfire, which was cancelled last year due to the BHS construction.Kicking off the night, the band performed, followed by the cheerleaders. As an added touch, the girls wore their new pink jackets for breast cancer awareness month. The drill team was next, kicking and dancing to the beat with today’s popular music.

“It’s my last year in Beachwood, so it’s the last time I get to see the bonfire or the parade, so to me it’s more special than any other year,” said senior Heather Wieder.

Even Benny the Bison showed up and took pictures of the performances.  In addition, there were free doughnuts.When the lighting of the fire began, families and friends gathered around the softball field, watching the beauty of the flames.

Some students explained what they would like to see improved next year.

“[If I were in charge of the bonfire], I would allow people to get closer to the fire and I would let people roast marshmallows and make s’mores,” said junior cheerleader Hannah Richardson. “I would also make sure there are enough doughnuts and apple cider for everyone.”

“I would make the parade last longer and put the bonfire somewhere else where there is more space because many people were too close together,” said junior Samantha Tall.

“It was a pretty friendly experience and [fun for the whole family]. The best part is the fact that everybody in the community was invited,” said junior Aliyah Patterson.

Many loved the doughnuts, entertainment and the experience of bonding with the rest of the community.  This was a night for families and friends to come together and enjoy a warm experience by the fire.