Girls Basketball Responds Well to New Coaching Staff

The Girls Basketball team has an undefeated record of 5-0 and is now a fierce competitor in the CVC.

On Friday, Dec. 14, the team beat Independence 60-50.

With a new coaching staff, the girls have a good game plan for the rest of the season.

The new coach Mike Coreno has intensified the practices this season.

“This year we run, while last year we didn’t run at all,” said captain Mikah Aldridge. “The things we do are on a different level from last year.”

The team also has a new volunteer assistant coach, Craig Alexander. This is not Alexander’s first rodeo. In the past he was the head coach of boys basketball, plus he coached JV and freshman basketball.

“Mike Coreno asked if I wanted to help out, and since I go to a lot of the games anyway I said I would be happy to,” said Alexander.

Some players standing out this year have been the new freshman members of the team, including Jaelyn Pounds, Maurina Nunn and Jada Stevens.

The team has improved their attitude.

“Because everyone’s returning from last year, and they didn’t have the best season last year,” said Alexander. “It was [important to get] them to realize that although the personnel didn’t change, they could change their mindset.”

“We communicate with each other a lot,” said Aldridge

The team gets support from parents and students, but could use more fans at games.

“There’s been more students at games this year, as compared with last year,” said Alexander. “As teams win, more people show up to see them play.The students have a lot of home games coming up, the students will start to show up more and more.”

The girls hope to keep their undefeated record when the freshmen girls  play John Adams on Thursday Dec. 20 at home and  the varsity girls play Garfield Heights, Saturday Dec. 22 at home.