Experience and Optimism for Beachwood Football

(Quarterback Coach Jack Rotsky lifts his hat in victory for the possibility of an amazing new season)

By Nicky Albaugh

In mid-August, the football team was hard at work studying film between rounds of practice and lifting. They critiqued their own performance, preparing mentally as well as physically. The excitement of a new season could be heard as the team piled from their film session to the weight room.

Most of this year’s players are returning from last year. Many are returning for their fourth year in the program.

Head Coach Ryan Williams is excited about the new season. “We’re prepared to beat the good teams in the conference this year, preparing to be the team to beat,” said Williams.

The football team boasts returning senior starters Alex Hohl, Max Schoen, Ari Sobel, Joon Kim, Howie Sobel, Jacob Sabroff, Anthony Valentine, Eric Walker, David Shapiro, Chris Lardie and new student Kemond Leggins. Williams believes that these upperclassmen have shown leadership that will lead to success this season.

Incoming quarterback coach Jack Rotsky feels that the talent this year is deeper than it has been in the past. Coach Rotsky has been working with quarterback Alex Hohl starting back in the offseason. Rotsky said, “Alex [has] become faster and quicker, along with getting a great grasp of the offense,” which adds to further promise for the team.

Other changes include the decision to switch from a 5-2 defense to a 4-4 defense and a more two dimensional offense. Coach Williams also presented his list of breakout underclassmen, including: Corey Jones, Mike Fields, Brandon Rotsky, Jordan Lane, Julio Stevens, Darrell Sullins, Josh Goode, Rob Goldberg, Todd Goldberg, and Noah Mitchell.

Like most players who are excited to kick off the season, Noah Mitchell believes “the hard work put in over the offseason will lead to a good season.”

With a promising, veteran football team in sync, this school is looking forward to four straight Saturday home games to kick off the season. The first game is against the Gilmour Lancers on Saturday, Aug. 27th.