Barnes and Noble Hosts BHS Book Fair

Jared+Skoff+and+Cole+Hersch+perform+a+skit+during+the+bellylaughers+performance.+Photo+by+Jeffrey+Zuckerman.+
Jared Skoff and Cole Hersch perform a skit during the bellylaughers’ performance. Photo by Jeffrey Zuckerman.

Jared Skoff and Cole Hersch perform a skit during the bellylaughers' performance. Photo by Jeffrey Zuckerman.

By Jeffrey Zuckerman, Staff Writer

On Tuesday, December 8th, the BHS library club hosted a book fair from 6-8 pm at Barnes & Noble at Eton. The event was intended to raise money for the club to buy new furniture for the library. This year, the ecology club teamed up with library club to host the event, raising awareness about recycling. Plus, students in science teacher Jim Burton’s classes who signed in with the ecology club got five extra credit points.

“The book fair was sponsored by the BHS library club to raise money for new library furniture,” said BHS librarian Jennifer Flaherty. “We chose to hold it at Barnes and Noble because we had a great amount of success in previous years, and it turned out that it was another successful year.”

One of the fun events at the book fair was cookie decorating. There were many delicious choices and decoration ideas, but a limited number of cookie choices. Along with the cookie decorating was a coloring station, which attracted some attention from the younger kids.

The evening’s entertainment began when sophomore Jessica Friedman sang several pop songs karaoke style. Her singing was followed by a special performance of the BHS bellylaughers society. Many of their skits and dialogue attracted a lot of attention from the audience, as well as that of other Barnes & Noble customers.

“I thought that the evening was not only successful, but also was a lot of fun,” said freshman Tanner Eitman. “I especially enjoyed the singing performance by Jessica Friedman.

As of publication, Flaherty is still waiting for the final tally of how much money was raised. “I heard an early total of $849…but that was a few days early and only the Eton Barnes and Noble. Buyers were allowed to shop at any Barnes and Noble around the country,” she said.