Gail Brewster Approaches 50 Years of Teaching at BHS

Photo by Bradford Douglas.

The year was 1962.

It marked the start of Johnny Carson’s 30-year run of hosting NBC’s The Tonight Show. A new car could be purchased for $2,500, and the gas to fill it, on average, cost $0.25 per gallon.

It was also Gail Brewster’s first year as a teacher. She started her career at North Royalton High School, and stayed there until 1966.

52 years and two Tonight Show hosts later, Brewster, a Euclid High School graduate, has educated thousands of students over the course of her career; 48 years of which have been spent at BHS.

According to the Beachwood City Schools website, Brewster’s tenure in the district is “longer than any other Beachwood City Schools staff member in the history of Beachwood.”

Brewster, who has led classes from seventh to twelfth grade, taught a variety of courses in social studies and English including philosophy, humanities, international studies, Asian studies and Advanced Placement Modern European History.

But Brewster’s work day often didn’t end at the dismissal bell.

Brewster taught after school at Fuchs Mizrachi School for one year, and for two years, taught at Cuyahoga Community College’s Western Campus.

While she retired from teaching full-time in 2001, Brewster frequently serves as a substitute teacher and works in the athletics department.

She also served as the adviser of the student newspaper at North Royalton High School and the yearbook and Junior Council on World Affairs (Model UN) adviser at BHS.

Brewster’s professional development included an eight-week program at the University of Hawaii and an Asian studies program in Japan.

“I saw history as a story. I tried to teach it as that,” Brewster said. “[It’s] the story of human beings, and it was an interesting one.”

Brewster is also a fan of President Andrew — or, as she refers to him, “Andy” — Jackson, and would hold a celebration known as “History Day” for her United States History students each year on Jackson’s birthday.

Science teacher Joe Burwell reminisced about the annual festivities.

“She used to do quite a celebration,” Burwell said.

“Stories were [told] even that she would get up on a table and start to orate to her class about Andrew Jackson,” he said.

The day would consist of food, a game of Jeopardy! and extra credit opportunities for students. “It was a review for the kids … A day off from the grind,” Brewster said.

Principal Ed Klein sang high praise of Brewster, describing her as “highly respected.”

“She’s a wonderful lady [who is] very professional, knows our students, knows our community [and] knows our staff,” Klein said.

Burwell, who used to help Brewster with her “science in the renaissance” unit when she taught history, had similar sentiments.

“I think she’s an outstanding educator,” Burwell said. “She was able to get students to think deeply about history and about politics.”

“When I came here, Gail was already a well-established, veteran teacher,” said Burwell, who has taught at BHS since 1981.

“She was president of our union for a long time and she advocated for the sorts of things that are important to teachers … and that made a big impression on me over the years,” Burwell said.

Burwell said he is glad Brewster serves as a substitute teacher within the district.

“I always admire those who are willing to come back in and step into a classroom full of relative strangers,” he said.

“Being a substitute teacher is a very difficult job. She has the right temperament and sense of humor for it,” Burwell said.

Brewster, who said she substitute teaches about once or twice a week on average, explained that she prefers teaching at BMS and BHS, rather than the elementary schools.

“I’m not geared to elementary school at all,” she said. “There’s a different style of teaching.”

It is not by accident that Brewster has stayed at BHS for almost five decades.

“When I first came to Beachwood, I really felt like I was home,” she said.

Brewster applauded parents’ involvement in the schools and their desire for the best, which has led to substantial resources for teaching and learning.

“Everyone seems to care about making it good,” Brewster said. “I’m happy when I’m there.”

While substituting may not be as time-consuming as a full-time teaching position was, Brewster said there are still some challenges, such as maintaining control of the classroom.

Though, she typically doesn’t have too much of an issue with that, she explained.

“Frankly, most of the time, I don’t have any problem, and I think it’s because [there are] two rules: ‘sit down’ and ‘be quiet.’”

“I respect the kids and they respect me … There’s a line of behavior and they know what it is,” Brewster said.

Some students have expressed this mutual respect.

“Her loyalty to Beachwood and her constant desire to educate the youth of Beachwood are both very impressive,” sophomore Bagatur Askaryan said.

“She’s really nice, and when she subs, she always asks you … ‘how’s your life been?’” freshman Maria Perilla said. “She just seems to genuinely care about the students.”

Brewster said if she could convey any piece of advice to a newly minted teacher, she would stress the importance of being educated in the subject you teach.

“Know your subject matter. If you don’t know your subject matter, you can’t fake it,” she said.

“And the other thing is, you better like kids.”