Animal Protective League: Helping Those in Need

This kitten was waiting for a loving owner in September. Photo by Jeffrey Zuckerman.

by Jeffrey Zuckerman, Staff Writer

Gal, a large, 10 year- old Labrador Retriever arrived in 2008 at the Cleveland Animal Protective League (APL). She was an extremely mellow good-natured dog that got along with both dogs and cats. She would pick up a toy in her mouth and sit with it by the front door to let you know if she needed to go to the bathroom.

Gal was brought in because she was seventy human years old, and had very humanlike diseases, including arthritis and cataracts. She was adopted and brought back because her new owner broke up with his girlfriend and couldn’t financially afford her anymore.

Some APL workers thought that because of her age and health, it would take a while for her to be adopted. They decided to take Gal to the Home and Garden Show in February of 2009, with the hope that there would be a family who could give her a nice home.

The APL is a non-profit organization whose mission is to serve the needs of abandoned, homeless, and abused animals in Cuyahoga County. In addition to adoptions, the APL investigates cases of animal neglect and cruelty, educates the public about the humane treatment of animals, and offers low- cost spay/neuter programs to prevent animal overpopulation. Due to the poor economy, the APL has experienced an increase in animals brought to their headquarters.

Along with adoptions at their headquarters, the APL offers offsite adoptions at several pet stores in Cuyahoga County. Carrie Gedeon, the APL’s Offsite Adoptions Liaison said that the offsite adoptions program is a good way to get animals “out in the community”. Gedeon explained, “We’re talking with a lot of people who otherwise wouldn’t come to a shelter environment. A lot of people find a shelter too depressing or too hard to go into. The offsite adoptions program is a good chance to work with others. This program also is a good chance to debunk myths that people have about the APL.”

According to Gedeon, the APL’s Offsite Adoptions Program is growing each year. She estimated that the APL annually places about 11,000 animals in new homes through the Offsite Adoptions Program.

Sarah Surrena, Assistant Manager of the Beachwood PETCO, estimates that one or two dogs and six to ten cats are adopted each month at her store. She adds, “Kittens go quickly.” Surrena emphasized PETCO’s goal to “think adoption first.”

What makes an animal adoptable? According to Gedeon, “age is always a big factor, especially with puppies and kittens being the first thing that people want. Often, people request small animals that will stay small, and occasionally there are people who want older animals or animals with special needs.”

Gedeon has been working for the APL since March of 2006. Her “biggest passion is to get animals out there that are often overlooked by prospective families coming to the shelter. There is nothing in the world that’s better than seeing an animal, especially one that is older or has some challenges, get adopted by a nice family,” said Gedeon.

The APL has “Small Furries,” ferrets, guinea pigs, hamsters, rabbits, and rats, available for adoption. “From time to time, we have some unusual animals. We’ve had alligators, chickens, a pig, and two sugar gliders, which are small mammals native to Australia,” said Gedeon.

Volunteer Coordinator, Danielle Begalla explained that, “The Cleveland Animal Protective League is committed to reaching a time when there are no more unwanted or homeless pets.  But, until that day comes, we will continue to serve as their advocates, their voice, and their gateway to experiencing the ultimate joy of being a beloved pet and companion.”

An out-of-town family visiting Cleveland for a week fell in love with Gal and said, “Everything about her is perfect.” The family overlooked Gal’s physical issues, and without hesitation, cancelled their hotel reservations, adopted the dog, and took her home. Because of the APL’s commitment, Gal, the Labrador retriever, found a good home where she is a beloved member of the family.

To learn more about the APL please visit www.clevelandapl.org.