Beachcomber Welcomes New Staff

By: Rachel Lubinger

The Beachcomber conducted in-depth interviews with the six new BHS staff members.

Kevin Houchins:

What is your current position and responsibilities? I am the director of channel 22 and I teach TV productions.

Have you taught/worked anywhere else? Yes, I have worked at Elyria High School doing a similar job called media productions.  I worked there for three years.  I also worked at Hope Academy and Euclid High School.

What are your favorite musical genres? I like fairly old music, gospel music, old school, and R & B.

Other than English, do you speak any other languages?  If so, what is it and how did you learn it? I know a little bit of French.  I learned French in second grade through eleventh grade.

Is there a language you really want to learn? I probably want to learn Spanish.

What college did you attend? I played college football at the University of Memphis.  I also went to Ursuline College which is in Pepper Pike.  I also got my teaching certification at Kent State.

What are your college degrees? I have a bachelor’s degree in business, and a certified education degree.  I will also finish my Master’s degree in education this summer.

What is your favorite book?  Why? I have two favorite books.  The first one is by Tony Dungy and it is called The Mentor Leader. This book is about building leadership.  My second favorite book is also by Tony Dungy and it is called Uncommon. This book is about a football coach.  This book deals with a religious base.  I have a lot in common with the main character. 

What city and state were you born in? I was born in Cleveland, Ohio.  I love it here.

Describe yourself when you were in high school and how have you changed since then? I played three sports: baseball, basketball, and football.  I was an honors student and was more into sports, and not as much academics.  I wanted to be an NFL player.  I was not a reader, but I enjoy reading now.  The funniest part of my story is that when I was in high school there weren’t any computers or Internet, however I was interested in technology.  To this day technology is a lot different, but I am a technology teacher.  When I was in high school, I was not as studious as I am today and I encourage students to not make the same mistakes that I made.

What do you like to do in your free time? I coach football and I volunteer at my church.  I am very devoted to my religion.  Most importantly, I love spending time with my family.

What was your first impression of Beachwood High School and the students? I think BHS is a good learning environment and I am not disappointed.  The students gave me an excellent first impression.  They are very friendly, warm, and welcoming.  I am also pleased at the conduct of the students.

Name something about yourself that no one knows? My parents were 49 and 50 when I was born and I was very shy until high school.

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be and why? I wouldn’t want to live anywhere else in the world.  I like it here.  I enjoy the change of seasons, while in other places people don’t have a chance to experience the weather changes.  However, I would like winter to be shorter.  It is also a nice place to raise a family.

What are your favorite movies and why? My first favorite movie is called “The Pursuit of Happiness”.  I liked that movie because I can really identify and connect with the character.  My dad died when I was 17 and the main character’s dad died too.  My second favorite movie is called “Facing the Giants”. It is also a movie that I can relate to.  I am a football coach, and this movie is based on faith.  It is about mentoring young people.  I like to watch movies and be mellow.

What was your first job and what did you think of it? I was a pizza delivery boy when I was 17 years old.  I liked that job because I could take home leftover pizza and it was delicious.

What do you think the hardest part of high school and college was for you and why? For me, high school was hard because my father was dying of cancer.  College was similar; I was still hurting from the loss of my father.  I went to college 800 miles from home, so I missed my family.  It was a different culture there and I didn’t know anyone.  I had to be independent and take care of myself.

Do you have any advice for high school students? I would say to enjoy the moments of high school and to enjoy life.  Don’t rush your age, meaning do what high school students do.  Also, don’t try to be something you’re not, later you will want to have your freedom back.  Lastly, remember that time flies by.

Is there anything else you would like to let staff and students of BHS know? Everyone has been warm and friendly and I appreciate it.  I’ve had a wonderful experience here.

Brad Burget:

What is your current position and responsibilities? I am the natatorium director, the pool director, and the head coach of the high school and middle school swim team, which includes both boys and girls.

Have you taught/worked anywhere else? Yes, I have worked at New Albany for 13 years and I’ve coached for 30 years.

Who is your favorite musical artist? I like the DJ called David Guetta.

Other than English, do you speak any other languages? Yes, I took five years of Spanish and I can read it.  I can only understand it if it is spoken very slowly.

Is there a language that you really want to learn? I think I would want to learn German, maybe.

What college did you attend? I went to Ohio State.

What are your college degrees? I have a bachelor’s degree in marketing.  I also assistant coached for one year at Ohio State.

What is your favorite book and why? I don’t have a favorite book, but I like to read the newspaper because I like to know what is going on around me.

What city and state were you born in? I was born in Columbus, Ohio.

Describe yourself when you were in high school and how have you changed since then? I was one of the smart ones in my school.  I graduated with a GPA of 3.9.  I was very athletic and I still am today.  Now I like to coach.

What do you like to do in your free time? I like to go to Ohio State football games.  I work a lot, so I don’t have a lot of free time.

What was your first impression of BHS and the students? I think BHS is a great school; very laid back.  The students achieve a lot.  It would be a good high school to go back to if I could go back in time.

Name something about yourself that no one knows.  Do you have a hidden talent? I think I am able to read people’s expressions very well.  For example, whether they are trustworthy or not.

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be and why? I would want to live in Europe, even though I love it in Ohio.  I love to look at older buildings and visit older cities.

What is your favorite movie and why? My favorite movie is called “Zoolander” because it is hilarious.

What was your first job and what did you think of it? I was a swim coach and a lifeguard.  Not much has changed since then.  The lifeguard job was boring, but the coaching was fun.

What do you think the hardest part of high school and college was and why? The hardest part of high school was the social aspect.  However, college was different.  For me the hardest part of college was astronomy class.

Do you have any advice for high school students? I would say to get to know your classmates.  In high school, the social aspect is most important and it is part of why you are here.  If you can’t socialize, you will have trouble with it later in life.

Is there anything else that you would like to let staff and students of BHS know? I am glad I can be here and the support from everyone is amazing.  Even though I just started to get to know the students, I’m sure it’s the same kind of environment.

Kelly Taglieri:

What is your current position and responsibilities? I am an intervention specialist; advocating for students who are on IEP’s.

Have you taught anywhere else? I have worked for nine and a half  years in Steubenville.  Then, I stayed home with my children for five years.  Also, I was a long-term substitute for four years in Willoughby.

What kind of music do you like? I don’t like one specific genre, but I like the top 40 songs.

Other than English, do you speak any other languages? No, unfortunately I don’t speak any other languages.

Is there a language that you really want to learn? Yes, I’d like to learn how to speak Spanish.

What college did you attend? I went to West Liberty State College, Notre Dame, and I’m enrolled at Lake Erie College now.

What is your college degree? I have a bachelor’s in education with specialization in math and reading.

What is your favorite book and why? My favorite book is called The Last Lecture.  I liked it because even though it was sad, I enjoyed reading it and I couldn’t put it down.

What city and state were you born in? I was born in Wheeling, West Virginia.

Describe yourself when you were in high school and how have you changed since then? In high school I was a very conscientious student, with many goals, and I loved to learn.  I was involved in a program called Deca which was business oriented as well as the school’s yearbook club.  I was also part of a club called FBLA; which stood for Future Business Leaders of America.  The qualities that I have possessed in high school have carried over as a teacher.  Other than becoming more mature and wiser, I haven’t changed much.

What do you like to do in your free time? I like to travel with my family, go shopping, and go to the movies.

What was your first impression of Beachwood High School and the students? The students are very welcoming and the high school is a place where people can prepare themselves for future endeavors.

Name something about yourself that no one knows, such as a hidden talent. I am a good bowler, and I can beat my husband at bowling.

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be and why? I would live in California because of its beautiful weather.

What is your favorite movie and why? I like the movie called “Eat, Pray, Love” I enjoy any film with Julia Roberts in it.

What was your first job and what did you think of it? I worked at Kentucky Fried Chicken, and it taught me responsibility.

What do you think the hardest part of high school and college was and why? I thought it was difficult to balance activities and academics.  I had to stay organized and avoid procrastinating.

Do you have any advice for high school students? I would say to believe in yourself and follow your dreams.

Is there anything else that you would like to let staff and students of Beachwood High School know? I am married with three children.  My kids are ages 7, 10, and 11.

Rachel Chapman:

What is your current position and responsibilities? I am the maternity substitute for Daria Cayne and I teach Spanish 2, 3, and AP Spanish.

Have you taught anywhere else? Yes, I have taught at Cardinal High School in Middlefield.

Who is your favorite musical artist? Well, my favorite Hispanic singer is Julieta Venegas.  She is Mexican.

How old were you when you learned Spanish? I was a freshman in high school and I was taking Spanish 1 when I was 14 years old.

How did you learn Spanish? I lived in Alicante, Spain and I took classes there.

What college did you attend? I went to University of Toledo.

What are your college degrees? They were Spanish and Sociology.

What is your favorite book and why? My favorite book is called A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.  I like it because it was my favorite book growing up and I read it over and over again.

Where were you born? I was born in Burton, Ohio; which is in Geauga County.

Describe yourself when you were in high school and how have you changed since then? I was very involved in activities.  I played basketball, soccer, and ran track.  In high school, Spanish was not my favorite subject, but now it is.

What do you like to do in your free time? I like to hike, camp, and dance.

What was your first impression of Beachwood High School? There are very high standards and I was impressed.

Do you have a hidden talent that no one knows? I can sing in Spanish.

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be and why? I would live in Buenos Aires, Argentina.  I like their culture, music, dancing, literature, climate, and people.

What is your favorite movie and why? My favorite movie is called “Amélie”. It’s French. It is my favorite movie because it’s an artistic love movie.  It’s also foreign and I like to learn about different languages in general.

What was your first job and what did you think of it? In high school I worked at my family’s hardware store, which was fun.  My first real job was teaching Spanish to freshman through seniors.  (Level 1,2,3,and 4)  I had four classes a day and it was a lot of work.

Do you have any advice for high school students? Don’t be afraid to be yourself.

Is there anything else that you would like to let staff and students of Beachwood High School know? I am very happy to be here and thank you for welcoming me.

Kevin Kemelhar:

What is your current position and responsibilities? I am a school psychologist and I’m responsible for special education at the high school.  I also go to other buildings in the district.  I work with other students and staff and do evaluation, intervention, and coordination with special education.  I also do collaboration with staff.

Have you taught or worked anywhere else? I used to work in Kenston schools, and I worked in a private practice for 15 years.  Also, I worked in a hospital setting at Metro Health.

Who are your favorite musical artists? I like to listen to Dave Matthews, Frank Sinatra, and David Sanborn (he plays the saxophone).

Other than English, do you speak any other languages? No, but I used to speak Italian.  Unfortunately, I lost it over the years.  I was one class away from a minor at Ohio State.  I started taking it in high school when I was a freshman through a senior.

Is there a language you really want to learn? I’d like to go back to Italian and go to Italy to relearn the language so that I can speak it.  I also like the Italian culture.

What college did you attend? I went to two colleges: Ohio State Undergrad and Ohio State Graduate School.

What are your college degrees? I have a bachelor’s in psychology, a Master’s degree, and an educational specialist in school psychology.

What is your favorite book and why? My favorite book is called The Boys of Summer.  It is my favorite because baseball is my favorite sport.  It’s about a kid growing up with the Brooklyn Dodgers.

What city and state where you born in? I was born in Cleveland, Ohio.

Describe yourself when you were in high school and how have you changed since then? In high school I was a good student and I played basketball and baseball.  I was friends with lots of different groups of kids and not just one group.  I was not a follower and I’m still not.  I was on the quiet side.  I am still a lot like that, but I have become more outspoken, not negatively.

What do you like to do in your free time? Well, I have three kids, so I do a lot of coaching and going out to eat.  I like to play basketball and baseball.  I love to golf and watch football.

What was your first impression of BHS and the students? Beachwood High School is very positive, and the students are very friendly.  I used to live in Beachwood, and everyone is very friendly and helpful.

Name something about yourself that no one knows? I have a 3 ½ year-old daughter and I learned how to use her easy-bake oven.  I bake with her once a week.

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be and why? I would live in South Carolina because of its beautiful weather.  I could go to the beach and go golfing.  I wouldn’t leave the U.S.

What is your favorite movie and why? My favorite movie is called “Field of Dreams”. It’s about baseball and a father and son’s relationship.  I can connect to it because I have a son.

What was your first job and what did you think of it? I worked at a funeral home and I had to carry in bodies that needed to be embalmed.  I also fixed stuff around the funeral home.  I thought it was a cool job because I got to eat all the leftover food from the funerals.

What do you think the hardest part of high school and college was and why? In high school the hardest part was managing sports and school, but it got easier later on.  In college, the hardest part for me was having to cook, do laundry, and other things that I wouldn’t normally do at home.  It took about the first quarter of school (which was about 9 to 10 months) to get used to the transition.

Do you have any advice for high school students? Learn how to organize yourself, keep physically active, have priorities, and learn how to say “no” for lots of different things.

Is there anything else you would like to let staff and students of BHS know? Everyone has made me feel welcome and I have had a good beginning of this school year.  I look forward to being here for many years.

Alonna Burke:

What is your current position and responsibilities? I am a long-term sub for Sarah Thrasher.  I teach students who are in 9th grade through 12th grade and are Deaf or hard of hearing.

Have you taught anywhere else? I recently graduated from Kent State University and I was a student teacher at Beachwood Middle School with Amy Graham.

Who is your favorite musical artist? I prefer country music.  My favorite groups and singers are the Rascal Flatts, Carrie Underwood, and I recently saw the Zach Brown Band.

Other than English and ASL, do you speak any other languages? Not fluently, but I can speak 20 phrases in Spanish.

Is there a language that you really want to learn? I would love to learn Latin, but unfortunately it’s a dead language.

How did you learn American Sign Language? I started to learn it in high school.  At first, I took Spanish, but then I switched to ASL.  In college, I planned to be a meteorologist, but I had to take a language.  I took ASL and my teacher told me I should look into getting a Deaf and Hard of Hearing major.

What are your college degrees? I have a licensure as an intervention specialist for Kindergarten through 12th grade.  I also have a licensure as a deaf intervention specialist for pre-k through 12th grade.

What is your favorite genre of books and why? I prefer a lot of mysteries, suspense, and short stories because they are attention grabbing.  Also, I really love reading textbooks.

What city and state were you born in? I was born in Canton, Ohio, which is south of Cleveland.

Describe yourself when you were in high school and how have you changed since then? In high school, I was able to stay up all the time (24/7).  In college, I only needed 3 to 4 hours of sleep.  However, now I need much more sleep.  The biggest way that I have matured was from high school to college.  Once I entered college, I wasn’t involved in parties anymore; I just focused on my work.

What do you like to do in your free time? I am a runner so I usually go to the gym.  I hang out with my animals; I have 2 cats and 1 dog.  Also, I enjoy hanging out with my friends.

What was your first impression of BHS and the students? I work with Deaf and Hard of Hearing students from other districts, so I don’t normally see Beachwood students.  However, when I do see students in the hallways, I think that they are very put-together, nice, and easy to get along with.  I think Beachwood has the best consortium program, with very nice and welcoming people.  Also, there is not much drama between students at Beachwood High School.

What is something about yourself that no one knows?  Do you have a hidden talent? I can play violin and I started playing in fourth grade and continued through 12th grade.  I learned how to play with my school district.  My grandpa was a violinist and he made my violin.  Since there wasn’t an orchestra class in college, I played alone.

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you go and why? I would go back to Canton, Ohio because my family lives there and I’m a family girl.  I need my family in order to survive.  I have 9 siblings and I don’t want to leave them.

What is your favorite movie and why? My favorite movie is called “Splash”.  The main actors are Daryl Hannah and Tom Hanks.  This movie is about a mermaid who falls in love with Tom Hanks.  Then, Tom Hanks became a merman.  I like it because it is a cute movie.

What was your first job and what did you think of it? This is my first teaching job and I think it’s great and definitely what I want to do.  My first job during high school was working at Wendy’s when I was 15 years old.  I hated it and left when I was 16 years old.

Do you have any advice for high school students? Don’t take advantage of your high school life.  Also, get ready for real.  Lastly take responsibility and learn who you are.

Is there anything else you would like to let staff and students of BHS know? Not really, except that I’ve really enjoyed the opportunity of being a long-term substitute.  I had a lot of fun.