How to Survive Your Freshman Year

By Jeffrey Zuckerman, Staff Writer

Guidance Counselor Marcia Alperin advises freshmen to “Find an organization plan that works for you. Once you do, learn it and use it.” Photo by Anna Swanson.

Ding-ding-ding—this bell is the sound that tells us that summer is over and a new school year has begun. To the incoming freshmen, this sound signifies the end of middle school and the beginning of high school. While retuning to school in a new building is exciting, it can be nerve-racking as well. So freshmen–why not read some advice on how to have a good first year at BHS?

First of all, the hallways are going to be more congested than at the middle school, so keep up the pace and talk with friends while walking. Sometimes, hallway traffic will move slower than you think, so don’t underestimate the time that is needed to get places. But be cautious-since doors open into the hallway, walking in the center will decrease your chances of getting hit.

Marcia Alperin, the guidance counselor for ninth and tenth graders, suggests that students plan ahead so they can get to class on time. “You also have to plan for the fact that there is not a lot of time to catch the bus.”

As a freshman, the level of academic difficulty can vary depending on your schedule. In an honors course, expect to cover more material and to have difficult tests. But don’t forget that college prep classes are not easy and involve work as well. The difficulty in any class depends on the teacher, the subject and the willingness of the student to do the work. Maintain your grades and your relationships with your teachers by checking esis on a regular basis. If a course seems to not be working out, go talk to the teacher or your guidance counselor.

Since decisions made during the first few weeks affect the entire year, Alperin recommends freshmen to, “Find an organization plan that works for you. Once you do, learn it and use it.”

“Get involved in the class and be an active participant,” advises Spanish teacher John Summers. “You’re responsible for your own learning.”

Not only should you be involved in class, but as  Alperin says “Getting involved in activities” gets you “more connected with the school” and you “will do better in school as a result.”

Even BHS librarian Jennifer Flaherty agrees, saying, “Make sure you do summer reading, get involved in things that are of interest, and try to meet new people.”

Aside from the crowds,  Alperin acknowledges that the cafeteria is “a great place to meet new people.” Additionally, the cafeteria at BHS serves a wide variety of food. You can find hot lunch, pizza, a salad bar, a wrap/sandwich/salad bar, ice cream, and snack foods. Although the line may be long and slow, be patient. Don’t anger others by cutting the line. If waiting is problematic,  Alperin suggest to not “be afraid to bring lunch—the cafeteria is a busy place and it can be overwhelming.” Also, take advantage of the hand sanitizer stations around the cafeteria—why have an unhealthy year?