Class of 2010: Reflections

Members of the class of 2010 prepare to smash at the dodgeball event during Spirit Week this year. Photo by Ena Jones.

by Courtney Fishman, Staff Writer

Members of the class of 2010 prepare to smash at the dodgeball event during Spirit Week this year.  Photo by Ena Jones.

When you think of video games, what pops into your head? Maybe you wish you were playing one instead of reading this article. Or you may think of your high score on Call of Duty. But when I hear those two words I think of Spirit Week, and the “Senior Smash Brothers.”

As we say goodbye to the class of 2010, we reminisce about their four years at the high school. It is notable that this is the first class who has gone through four years with Principal Hardis and Vice Principal Paul Chase. With graduation right around the corner, the seniors begin to recognize that their time at BHS will become a memory. But what truly made their high school experience a perfect 10?

“Spirit Week” said Senior Matt Norton. “We cared about it, which actually made it fun.”

Eric Silverman added, “There was a strong participation in Spirit Week freshmen year. We sold spirit wear to 75% of our class, and raised around two thousand dollars.” Their astounding sales motivated the students to think of creative fundraises for the rest of their time at BHS.

Senior class adviser Jason LeDonne explained that this class is exceptional because of the “willingness of students to participate in fundraisers.”

Student Activities Director Craig Alexander said, “the Student Council seniors had a great sense of responsibility.

They were very active, and determined to have a good prom.”

Senior Nathan Newman felt “prom had real Cleveland pride, by being held in Browns stadium.”
Ben Besunder liked “how everyone was close and having a blast.” However, the class of 2010 did not always share a tight-knit relationship.

Jerry Gordon said, “the seniors were like the Rugrats. Everyone originally had their own Angelica, a person whom they weren’t very fond of, but in the end [we] all learned to love each other.”
Ultimately, the class came together as a group that really respects their peers. So when I asked “if you could live the day in the life of one senior, who would it be?” I received a variety of responses.

Eric Silverman declared, “Katie Landis seems to never be in class, because she has three study halls. That would be cool to spend half my day in the library.”

Social studies teacher Karissa Piper replied, “I’d like to live a day as Gabe Firestone because he is talented in many areas where I am not, but wish I was, and I’ve never lived a day as a guy, which would be interesting. I’m not convinced the experience would be as Beyonce imagines it.”

The student who was most often mentioned was Andrew Darvin. Many wanted to know what it was like to be the Student Council President. Others were curious about how he managed his AP-packed schedule along with his laundry list of extra curricular activities. (I guess it will remain a mystery)

Though the seniors are graduating, this is not “game over”. Like in a video game, they still have many levels left to complete, and we wish them the best of luck in their future endeavors.