Class of 2011: Spirit Week, or Spirit Weak?

The spirit week trophy: Will the class of 2011 have a chance to grasp its glory? Photo by Asha Clark
The spirit week trophy: Will the class of 2011 have a chance to grasp its glory?  Photo by Asha Clark

by Asha Clark

Most high schools around the country have a “spirit week”. By dressing up in school colors and participating in school-sponsored games, 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th grades compete to see who has the most spirit.

However, at BHS, some grades routinely participate more than others. In 2007, the “Senior Sopranos” swept spirit week by a wide margin. In 2008, the “Senior Sailors” took the title once again. Last year changed history when the freshman class, “The Rookies” came away with the spirit week title. But through our three years at BHS, the class of 2011 has never won spirit week, and rarely obtains first place in any of the events.

Some may attribute this to lack of talent or lack of ability, but the true reason why the current junior class cannot come out on top is because of one key factor—the spirit. Even though a number of current 11th graders have participated in the events in the past, the lack of class unity is the cause of our lackluster performance. This weak class spirit is not only shown through weak spirit week performances in March, but is also expressed in poor attendance at school-related sports and other activities throughout the year.

Junior class president Sara Post shares this view. “Whether it’s sports or other activities, most people [from our class] don’t take the time to go and cheer on people from their own school.” Sara believes that people should just “go crazy and have fun and everyone else will too.” This point is simple, yet vital.

Through all our years of high school, the majority of the members of the current junior class have not put their full heart into participating into an enjoyable school related activities. As a result, the class of 2011 has lost out on a lot of opportunities for victory, and have made certain aspects of high school less fun than it is supposed to be.

Because of these issues, the junior class needs to band together and become more unified. Attending more sporting events, dances, and other sponsored activities can solve these problems. During spirit week, class members need to buy and wear class wear.

If younger individuals around the school notice participation by the upperclassmen, activities will automatically become more fun. Dances will be less “lame,” and school sports games more enjoyable. As a junior class, we need to step up to the plate and help the seniors lead the freshman and the sophomores, making the high school experience more enjoyable.

Junior class Vice President Lily Lash says it best, “If everyone is in it together, no one will feel like anything is un-cool.”

Class of 2011: let’s start showing some leadership.

View Comments (1)